Best roof racks 2018
Which is best roof rack on sale? We look at rail and flush mounting market leaders to find out...
Roof racks make perfect sense for motorists becoming ever more conscious of fuel economy. It’s madness to drive a bigger car than you need all year just to cope with the annual family holiday or occasional trips away with bikes. So whatever extra gear you plan to put on the roof, you’ll need the best roof racks possible.
Roof designs have changed over the years with gutters virtually disappearing and dedicated fixing points becoming less popular. While rails remain on off-roaders and the like, car makers are now favouring flush-mounted versions.
With that in mind, we have divided the best roof racks into two categories: those that mount to the roof rails of your car and those that attach flush to your roof. Below you will find the winners on both groups, with the reviews of each set available using the tabs at the top left of your screen.
Flush mount roof bars
Summit’s winning SUP-957 bars are great all-rounders at a keen price. The more expensive recommended Farads trail slightly, but benefit from low noise at speed. Atera’s Signo RTD bars are the ultimate choice here if money is no object.
- 1. Summit SUP-957
- 2. Farad Aerodynamic Aluminium Roof Bars
- 3. Atera Signo RTD
Rail mount roof bars
Thule and Atera battled it out for first place in our test, although the former has the edge on account of its better warranty and versatility. Farad’s Alu Bars are highly capable all-rounders at an almost budget price.
- 1. Thule Wingbar
- 2. Atera Signo RT
- 3. Farad Bars Alu
Use the buttons at the top left of this article to read the reviews of each roof bar in this test.
In this review
- 1Introduction - currently readingWhich is best roof rack on sale? We look at rail and flush mounting market leaders to find out...
- 2Best flush mount roof racksGet set for a spring break as we test these kings of the load...
- 3Best rail mount roof racksWhich of eight sets of car roof bars can take the load this holiday season?
- 4Atera Signo RTOn paper, there’s not much between the Atera RT and our Best Buy, the Thule Wingbar.
- 5Farad Bars AluItaly’s Farad bars are the second cheapest set here, but don’t have a budget spec
- 6Thule WingbarWingbars’ enhanced aerodynamics allow quiet motoring, and didn’t affect mpg too greatly.
- 7Cruz Airo RThese look similar to Thule’s Wingbars, and are also quiet and refined on the road. In fact, they appear sleeker than most, as the feet are unusually compact
- 8Modula OvalBar SystemMost bars can be adjusted to fit cars with narrower roofs, by moving their feet inwards.
- 9WhispbarQuiet, low-drag roof bars were effectively invented by Whispbar, and these premium bars are beautifully built
- 10Mont Blanc 1250 Activa Alu
- 11Halfords Roof Bar System EThe howl on our test reminded us these are traditional square steel bars