Bentley Mulsanne - most comfortable cars
Hand-crafted Bentley Mulsanne delivers luxury and performance in spades
If you want a proper old-school luxury car, then the Bentley Mulsanne perfectly fits the bill. It harks back to a time when cars were built without a focus on the bottom line, so everything feels rock-solid and high class, from the pulls that open and close the air vents to the smooth action of the retractable rear tables.
Under the bonnet is an equally old-school powerplant. The 6.75-litre turbocharged V8 can trace its ancestry back to the heyday of the Rolls-Royce/Bentley partnership of the 20th Century. It packs huge power, so even though the Mulsanne weighs in at well over two and a half tonnes, it still hauls at a decent lick. Fuel consumption is pretty low, but if this unduly concerns you then the Mulsanne (or any other Bentley) probably isn’t for you.
Inside, the matching grain veneers, deep-pile carpets and luxurious leather combine to give the Mulsanne the kind of high-class feel that only a premium British car maker like Bentley can create. Bentley even offers a ‘Comfort Specification’ which adds twin reclining seats in the rear with massaging functions and perforated leather. As with most cars in this list, a long-wheelbase version is the must-have for optimum spaciousness and comfort.
It's quiet and refined, whether you're cruising in town or cruising the autobahn at 130mph, and gives the sense of imperiousness that not many rivals can manage.
Most comfortable cars on sale
- 1IntroductionWe pick 10 of the most comfortable cars to drive, or be driven in, currently on sale in the UK
- 21. Mercedes S-ClassThe Mercedes S-Class leads the way for luxury, comfort, refinement and technology
- 32. Rolls-Royce PhantomA name etched into the luxury car market, the Rolls-Royce Phantom lives up to its reputation
- 43. Range RoverThe Range Rover is one of the most comfortable cars of all, both on the road and off it
- 54. BMW 7 SeriesThe BMW 7 Series offers supreme comfort across its model range and pushes the Mercedes S-Class harder than ever
- 65. Bentley Mulsanne - currently readingHand-crafted Bentley Mulsanne delivers luxury and performance in spades
- 76. Audi A8The latest Audi A8 has come on leaps and bounds to become an accomplished luxury limousine
- 87. BMW 5 SeriesWhether cruising along or tackling tight corners, the BMW 5 Series has it all
- 98. Bentley BentaygaThe Bentley Bentayga might be expensive and inefficient, but it’s also one of the best luxury SUVs on sale
- 109. Audi Q7Second-generation Audi Q7 made big strides in ride quality and handling