￼Aston Martin DBS, Casino Royale (2006)/Quantum Of Solace (2008)
￼BOND FACT: The sensational Casino Royale crash was filmed at Millbrook Proving Ground in Bedfordshire.
For the 2006 relaunch of the franchise, Bond ditched all of the gadgets and far-fetched plotlines for something far grittier and more realistic. But Aston Martin remained as the car manufacturer of choice.
New Bond Daniel Craig took to the wheel of a shiny DBS in Casino Royale – in fact, it was so new that the DBS didn’t go on sale until the year after the film was released.
Like George Lazenby’s DBS in 1969, Craig’s car was devoid of gadgets. The stunts remained, however, with a DBS sacrificed for one of the biggest single-car crashes ever in a film. Bond, in pursuit of the kidnapped Vesper Lynd (Eva Green), comes across his love interest lying in the road, and has to take evasive action. The ensuing crash destroys the DBS, but it did land in the Guinness Book Of Records for completing seven consecutive barrel rolls in the process.
Another DBS appeared in the opening sequence of Quantum Of Solace, but it didn’t fare much better than its predecessor – losing its doors and having its windscreen shattered during a spectacular chase.
- 1IntroductionWhat is the best James Bond car of all time? We've picked some of our favourites. What's yours?
- 2Aston Martin DB5BOND FACT: The car also appears in Thunderball (1965), GoldenEye (1995), Tomorrow Never Dies (1997), Casino Royale (2006) and Skyfall (2012)
- 3Lotus EspritBOND FACT: The Esprit that crashed into the sea was a mock-up fired by an air cannon.
- 4Sunbeam AlpineBOND FACT: The Alpine in Dr No was borrowed from a Jamaican resident and was one of only a few sports cars on the island.
- 5Aston Martin DBS - currently reading￼BOND FACT: The sensational Casino Royale crash was filmed at Millbrook Proving Ground in Bedfordshire.
- 6Ford Mustang Mach 1￼￼BOND FACT: The Mustang chase was filmed on Las Vegas’ famous Fremont Street, which was still open to the public.
- 7BMW Z8BOND FACT: The film's 14-minute pre-title sequence is by far the longest of any Bond film.
- 8Aston Martin Vanquish￼BOND FACT: The car chase on the ice was shot in Norway and Iceland.
- 9Citroen 2CVBOND FACT: The film's car chases were choreographed by French stunt driver Rémy Julienne.
- 10What the villains droveHe's behind you: some of our favourite vehicles driven by the villains