Hyundai Veloster vs rivals
The Hyundai Veloster cleverly combines smart coupe with practical family hatch – but how does it compare against the real deal in the form of the Vauxhall Astra GTC and Alfa Giulietta?
Hyundai has done it again! Over the past two years we have been impressed with every new car from the company, and the Veloster goes down as another success. Is it due to those unusual doors? They mean getting in and out of the back is easier than in a conventional coupe, but the limited headroom makes the rear uncomfortable for tall adults. Still, Hyundai must be credited for putting the novel concept into production, and the result is both useful and distinctive. Of its rivals, the Vauxhall Astra GTC runs the Hyundai closest. A huge cabin gives it the practical edge, and superior refinement makes it a more grown-up choice – but it isn’t as much fun as the Veloster from behind the wheel. The Alfa has the best engine in this test by a country mile, yet the characterful MultiAir unit is let down by the rest of the Giulietta package. We expected it to be more practical than the Veloster, but it is too cramped inside for a proper family hatch. A disappointing driving experience and higher price leave the pretty Giulietta outclassed by the Hyundai.
Veloster vs Astra
1. Hyundai Veloster New coupe handles well and is fun to drive. Its uninspiring engine is a disappointment, but the Veloster is an attractive and affordable car.
2. Vauxhall Astra GTC Bigger GTC has a very different character to lively Hyundai. It puts space and refinement at the top of the agenda – but it’s not as fun.
Veloster vs Alfa
1. Hyundai Veloster If you want a head-turning family car that’s also fun to drive, the Veloster trumps the cramped and costly Alfa Romeo.
2. Alfa Romeo Giulietta Its engine is a gem and it looks great, but ultimately it disappoints. This family car actually has less interior space than the GTC.
In this review
- 1Introduction - currently readingThe Hyundai Veloster cleverly combines smart coupe with practical family hatch – but how does it compare against the real deal in the form of the Vauxhall Astra GTC and Alfa Giulietta?
- 2Hyundai Veloster vs Astra GTCVeloster aims to establish its coupe credentials against the sexiest Astra for years
- 3Hyundai Veloster vs GiuliettaFour doors or five? We see which car success fully blends practicality and driving fun
- 4Facts and figures