MINI John Cooper Works Convertible - official pictures
Fastest MINI convertible ever poised for Geneva debut
Meet the convertible MINI withmassive performance! These are the first official shots of MINI’sflagship John Cooper Works drop-top ahead of its world debut at theGeneva Show.
Already available in hatchback and Clubman bodystyles, customers can now enjoy the JCW in cabriolet form. And despite losing the roof, it’s lost none of its potency.
Theentire mechanical package is carried over from the hatchback, whichmeans the same 1.6-litre twin-turbocharged engine producing 208bhp and280Nm of torque, also fitted to the MINI CHALLENGE race car, is used.To cope with the extra grunt the transmission has been significantlystrengthened too, but incredibly it’s still capable of returning39.8mpg at the pumps, with CO2 emissions of 169g/km.
Performanceis a little down on the hatch, because of weight penalties fromstrengthening the chassis, but still sufficient to put most sportscars to shame. The 0-62mph sprint is knocked off in 6.9 seconds, and itwill keep accelerating all the way to a top spped of 146mph – a factwhich is recognised by the exclusive speedometer, displaying numbersall the way to 160mph.
And if the performance isn’t sharp enoughfor you, a sport button in front of the gear stick activates a bespokeengine map, which improves steering and throttle response instantly.
Tohelp get all that power onto the tarmac through the front tyres, anElectronic Differential Lock Control is fitted. It works in a similarway to Alfa Romeo’s Q2 system – by braking the spinning inside wheel tomaximise traction on the exit of corners.
Standard kit is muchimproved over the Cooper S and includes a unique Alcantara steeringwheel, figure-hugging sports seats and a glossy piano black interiorfinish. On the exterior there’s exclusive 17-inch cross-spoke wheels, asubtle bodykit and JCW badging on the boot, grille, brakes and doorsills.
Just like the rest of the MINI Convertible range, the JCWwill be built in Britain – the tailgate at the Swindon plant and therest of the assembly at Oxford. Priced from £23,470 on the road, thedrop-top hot-rod goes on sale in the UK from the 28 March.
In this review
- 1IntroductionHome of the best Geneva Motor Show coverage on the web.
- 2MINI John Cooper Works Convertible - official pictures - currently readingFastest MINI convertible ever poised for Geneva debut
- 3BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo ConceptBMW enters a new niche with a stunning hatchback version of the 5-Series!
- 4Fiat 500 CabrioFiat reveals first ever pictures of new 500C ahead of its Geneva debut next month.
- 5Rolls Royce 200EX revealedSpirit of legendary British luxury car maker lives on in son of Phantom...
- 6Saab 9-3X - official picsThe new 9-3X promises SUV-like off-road ability combined with the practicality of an estate.
- 7Wraps come off E-Class CoupéMerc's CLK replacement has arrived, and we have first pictures of the new stunner.
- 8MiTo GTA blasts offSizzling flagship gets a high-power turbo. It also features bodykit and stiffer suspension
- 9Audi A4 allroad - officialWith its raised suspension and toughened bodywork, the new A4 Allroad is just as happy on the rough stuff as it is on Tarmac
- 10911 GT3 - first picsHarder and faster version of the 911 will debut at Geneva
- 11Electric 2+2 on showMitsubishi is set to reveal a new version of its electric i MiEV Sport concept at the Geneva Motor Show in March.
- 12Star of future is light fantasticStudy uses tailgate as screen to warn following drivers.
- 13MINI’s new base champEntry-level One is the cheapest and most frugal Clubman yet.
- 14Fastest BentleyNew model from Bentley guzzles biofuel, and delivers rocketship performance.
- 15Vauxhall AmperaVauxhall parent company Opel plans to lift the lid on new plans for electric cars at this year's Geneva Motor Show.
- 16Citroen DS returnsFrench maker shocks with all-new DS-badged luxury line-up, spearheaded by stunning MINI rival.
- 17Mazda 3 MPSFastest ever Mazda 3 targets new Focus RS.
- 18Renault ClioSharpened up Clio arrives with an all-new look and a hot GT model...
- 19Kia’s MPV conceptSupermini-MPV gunning for top of the class.
- 20New Spark lights up Chevrolet in GenevaMatiz replacement confirmed for Geneva Unveil, and we get a first look at the interior.