Star of future is light fantastic
Study uses tailgate as screen to warn following drivers.
The Detroit Motor Show isbarely over, but already makers are turning the spotlight on Geneva –literally! This stylish supermini, the Light Car – Open Source, willgrace the stand of automotive engineering firm EDAG at March’s Swissexpo.
It’s one of the first vehicles in the world to use a layerof organic LED lights. These are more commonly found in hi-tech TVs andcomputer screens. The model also has a transparent tailgate: used as aprojection screen to boost car-to-car communication.
The idea ofthe Light Car – Open Source is to showcase new materials, bodystylesand alternative drive systems. Also key is conserving resources andkeeping costs down for the manufacturer and customer.
“Risingenergy prices, the CO2 debate and increasing demand for reasonablypriced cars are all pressing questions which are calling for innovativeconcepts,” said a spokesman.
Another automotive first is the useof basalt fibre in the structure. Lightweight, strong and recyclable,it’s cheaper than carbon or aluminium. At four metres long, the car isthe same size as a Ford Fiesta. It’s powered by electric motors hiddenin the wheels. The lithium-ion batteries give a range of 90 miles.
In this review
- 1IntroductionHome of the best Geneva Motor Show coverage on the web.
- 2MINI John Cooper Works Convertible - official picturesFastest MINI convertible ever poised for Geneva debut
- 3BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo ConceptBMW enters a new niche with a stunning hatchback version of the 5-Series!
- 4Fiat 500 CabrioFiat reveals first ever pictures of new 500C ahead of its Geneva debut next month.
- 5Rolls Royce 200EX revealedSpirit of legendary British luxury car maker lives on in son of Phantom...
- 6Saab 9-3X - official picsThe new 9-3X promises SUV-like off-road ability combined with the practicality of an estate.
- 7Wraps come off E-Class CoupéMerc's CLK replacement has arrived, and we have first pictures of the new stunner.
- 8MiTo GTA blasts offSizzling flagship gets a high-power turbo. It also features bodykit and stiffer suspension
- 9Audi A4 allroad - officialWith its raised suspension and toughened bodywork, the new A4 Allroad is just as happy on the rough stuff as it is on Tarmac
- 10911 GT3 - first picsHarder and faster version of the 911 will debut at Geneva
- 11Electric 2+2 on showMitsubishi is set to reveal a new version of its electric i MiEV Sport concept at the Geneva Motor Show in March.
- 12Star of future is light fantastic - currently readingStudy uses tailgate as screen to warn following drivers.
- 13MINI’s new base champEntry-level One is the cheapest and most frugal Clubman yet.
- 14Fastest BentleyNew model from Bentley guzzles biofuel, and delivers rocketship performance.
- 15Vauxhall AmperaVauxhall parent company Opel plans to lift the lid on new plans for electric cars at this year's Geneva Motor Show.