Wraps come off E-Class Coupé
Merc's CLK replacement has arrived, and we have first pictures of the new stunner.
Prepare to want one! Mercedes has turned on the style with its new E-Class Coupé – the CLK replacement– and these are the first official pictures of the German stunner that has the Audi A5 firmly in its sights.
Describedby Mercedes as a sporty interpretation of the E-Class saloon, it sharesan almost identical front end with its bigger brother. The sharperdouble headlights, sculpted bumper and grille are all borrowed, withthe only difference being the three-point-star mounted in the middle ofthe grille, and not on top of the bonnet.
From the frontwheels back, though, the Coupé has a shape of its own, with apillarless glass area and flowing roofline. As with the saloon, therear wheelarch is very detailed, with a crease framing the wheel andfinishing at the LED tail-lights.
A raft of new gadgets arefitted, including Attention Assist, which monitors the drowsiness ofthe driver, adaptive suspension and auto-levelling headlights. Fromlaunch, three engines will be offered – a pair of four-cylinder units,one diesel and one petrol, and the flagship E500, which delivers383bhp. This model is seen here wearing the AMG Sports Pack.
Theeco-friendly E350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY has to be the pick of the bunch,though. It churns out 228bhp and 540Nm, while returning 41.5mpg andemitting 139g/km of CO2.
The car goes on sale in the UK inJune, with a convertible following six months later. It debuts at theGeneva Motor Show in March.
In this review
- 1IntroductionHome of the best Geneva Motor Show coverage on the web.
- 2MINI John Cooper Works Convertible - official picturesFastest MINI convertible ever poised for Geneva debut
- 3BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo ConceptBMW enters a new niche with a stunning hatchback version of the 5-Series!
- 4Fiat 500 CabrioFiat reveals first ever pictures of new 500C ahead of its Geneva debut next month.
- 5Rolls Royce 200EX revealedSpirit of legendary British luxury car maker lives on in son of Phantom...
- 6Saab 9-3X - official picsThe new 9-3X promises SUV-like off-road ability combined with the practicality of an estate.
- 7Wraps come off E-Class Coupé - currently readingMerc's CLK replacement has arrived, and we have first pictures of the new stunner.
- 8MiTo GTA blasts offSizzling flagship gets a high-power turbo. It also features bodykit and stiffer suspension
- 9Audi A4 allroad - officialWith its raised suspension and toughened bodywork, the new A4 Allroad is just as happy on the rough stuff as it is on Tarmac
- 10911 GT3 - first picsHarder and faster version of the 911 will debut at Geneva
- 11Electric 2+2 on showMitsubishi is set to reveal a new version of its electric i MiEV Sport concept at the Geneva Motor Show in March.
- 12Star of future is light fantasticStudy uses tailgate as screen to warn following drivers.
- 13MINI’s new base champEntry-level One is the cheapest and most frugal Clubman yet.
- 14Fastest BentleyNew model from Bentley guzzles biofuel, and delivers rocketship performance.
- 15Vauxhall AmperaVauxhall parent company Opel plans to lift the lid on new plans for electric cars at this year's Geneva Motor Show.