Vauxhall parent company Opel plans to lift the lid on new plans for electric cars at this year's Geneva Motor Show.
Say hello to the Ampera - an all new Vauxhall that's set to lead the British firm's charge into the electric car market.
Officialdetails are still scarce – the only picture of the Ampera is thisOpel-badged example – but Auto Express has learned that it’s powered byGM’s groundbreaking electric propulsion technology, called Voltec.
The drivetrain debuted in the advanced Chevrolet Volt, and uses an advanced lithium-ion battery. Thisalone can power the Ampera for short trips of less than 30 miles, afterwhich it can be charged via a regular electricity socket.
Vauxhallhas confirmed that the five-door, four-seat machine will be revealed atthe 2009 Geneva Motor Show in March, before being readied forproduction some time in 2011.
According to sources close to the project, the car could be built at the firm's Ellesmere Port factory, alongside the next generation Astra.
“Withthe Ampera, Opel will be the first European automobile manufacturer toprovide customers several hundred kilometres of non-stop electricdriving,” said Alain Visser, GM Europe Chief Marketing Officer.
GM’sground-breaking electric propulsion technology, called Voltec, operatesdifferently from other advanced propulsion systems. For short trips upto 60 km, the Ampera will run only on lithium-ion battery power chargedvia a standard 230v outlet. For longer distances, the car will continueto drive on electricity that is generated by a small internalcombustion engine.
The Ampera will be well-suited to the dailydriving schedule of most British customers. It's reckoned that as manyas 80 percent of UK drivers travel less than 30miles a day.
In this review
- 1IntroductionHome of the best Geneva Motor Show coverage on the web.
- 2MINI John Cooper Works Convertible - official picturesFastest MINI convertible ever poised for Geneva debut
- 3BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo ConceptBMW enters a new niche with a stunning hatchback version of the 5-Series!
- 4Fiat 500 CabrioFiat reveals first ever pictures of new 500C ahead of its Geneva debut next month.
- 5Rolls Royce 200EX revealedSpirit of legendary British luxury car maker lives on in son of Phantom...
- 6Saab 9-3X - official picsThe new 9-3X promises SUV-like off-road ability combined with the practicality of an estate.
- 7Wraps come off E-Class CoupéMerc's CLK replacement has arrived, and we have first pictures of the new stunner.
- 8MiTo GTA blasts offSizzling flagship gets a high-power turbo. It also features bodykit and stiffer suspension
- 9Audi A4 allroad - officialWith its raised suspension and toughened bodywork, the new A4 Allroad is just as happy on the rough stuff as it is on Tarmac
- 10911 GT3 - first picsHarder and faster version of the 911 will debut at Geneva
- 11Electric 2+2 on showMitsubishi is set to reveal a new version of its electric i MiEV Sport concept at the Geneva Motor Show in March.
- 12Star of future is light fantasticStudy uses tailgate as screen to warn following drivers.
- 13MINI’s new base champEntry-level One is the cheapest and most frugal Clubman yet.
- 14Fastest BentleyNew model from Bentley guzzles biofuel, and delivers rocketship performance.
- 15Vauxhall Ampera - currently readingVauxhall parent company Opel plans to lift the lid on new plans for electric cars at this year's Geneva Motor Show.
- 16Citroen DS returnsFrench maker shocks with all-new DS-badged luxury line-up, spearheaded by stunning MINI rival.
- 17Mazda 3 MPSFastest ever Mazda 3 targets new Focus RS.
- 18Renault ClioSharpened up Clio arrives with an all-new look and a hot GT model...
- 19Kia’s MPV conceptSupermini-MPV gunning for top of the class.
- 20New Spark lights up Chevrolet in GenevaMatiz replacement confirmed for Geneva Unveil, and we get a first look at the interior.