MiTo GTA blasts off
Sizzling flagship gets a high-power turbo. It also features bodykit and stiffer suspension
The wraps are off themightiest MiTo yet! This is the first picture of Alfa Romeo’s new MiToGTA – a hot hatch flagship which is gunning for MINI’s Cooper JCW.
It will be on display at the Geneva Motor Showin the form of this thinly disguised concept, which boasts all thestyling cues you would expect on a small Italian high-performance car.These include a low front splitter, complete with mesh air intakes,plastic side skirts and what looks like a power bulge on the bonnet.The latter is hardly surprising, given what’s lurking beneath it.
Power comes from an all-new 1,750cc four-cylinder turbo engine. Its capacity harks back to the famous 1750 Coupéof the late Sixties. However, with 230bhp, the new GTA’s performancewill be bang up-to-date. It promises a 0-60mph time of around sixseconds and a top speed of 150mph – that’s enough to embarrass the JCW.
Addstiffened suspension and 18-inch alloys wearing sticky wide tyres, andthe GTA looks set to be a real force to be reckoned with. Inside,there are likely to be figure-hugging sports seats and a number of GTAbadges. Sales are expected to start later in the year, with a price tagfrom around £18,000.
In this review
- 1IntroductionHome of the best Geneva Motor Show coverage on the web.
- 2MINI John Cooper Works Convertible - official picturesFastest MINI convertible ever poised for Geneva debut
- 3BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo ConceptBMW enters a new niche with a stunning hatchback version of the 5-Series!
- 4Fiat 500 CabrioFiat reveals first ever pictures of new 500C ahead of its Geneva debut next month.
- 5Rolls Royce 200EX revealedSpirit of legendary British luxury car maker lives on in son of Phantom...
- 6Saab 9-3X - official picsThe new 9-3X promises SUV-like off-road ability combined with the practicality of an estate.
- 7Wraps come off E-Class CoupéMerc's CLK replacement has arrived, and we have first pictures of the new stunner.
- 8MiTo GTA blasts off - currently readingSizzling flagship gets a high-power turbo. It also features bodykit and stiffer suspension
- 9Audi A4 allroad - officialWith its raised suspension and toughened bodywork, the new A4 Allroad is just as happy on the rough stuff as it is on Tarmac
- 10911 GT3 - first picsHarder and faster version of the 911 will debut at Geneva
- 11Electric 2+2 on showMitsubishi is set to reveal a new version of its electric i MiEV Sport concept at the Geneva Motor Show in March.
- 12Star of future is light fantasticStudy uses tailgate as screen to warn following drivers.
- 13MINI’s new base champEntry-level One is the cheapest and most frugal Clubman yet.
- 14Fastest BentleyNew model from Bentley guzzles biofuel, and delivers rocketship performance.
- 15Vauxhall AmperaVauxhall parent company Opel plans to lift the lid on new plans for electric cars at this year's Geneva Motor Show.