Honda CB125F - best 125cc bikes
Honda’s CB125F offers smoothness and economy in a rider-friendly package
Launched in 2008 for new riders, older commuters and riding schools, the Honda CB125F quickly became Honda’s best-selling machine, shifting 2,000 a year in the UK alone.
For this latest model, the most obvious visual changes are a restyling for a sharper, more sporty appearance, and very nice it looks too, in a choice of three colours: black, red and one called Virtuous White.
Under the tank, the air-cooled engine has a new balance shaft for smoothness and revised fuel injection settings, cylinder head and exhaust for more low to mid-range torque and a claimed 145mpg. A new more rigid steel chassis and wheels up from 17in to 18in are aimed at extra stability.
Climb on, and with the footrests are moved slightly forward and bars back compared to the old model, the riding position is nicely upright and surprisingly comfortable even for larger riders.
On the road, the brakes are well up to the job of hauling 128kg of bike to a halt in impressive fashion. On the open road, progress is seamless, thanks to a five-speed gearbox as tiny and precise as a Swiss watch. Performance understandably languid with only 10 horses under the tank, although it is accompanied by a surprisingly satisfying snarl from that new exhaust.
As you can imagine, with the engine only starting to get interested at 8,000rpm and the red line at 9,000, overtaking takes some planning.
Best 125cc bikes
- 1IntroductionSave your pennies - and your licence - with our pick of the best 125cc motorbikes for sale now
- 21. KTM 125 DukeThe KTM 125 Duke is a far cry from the brand's more potent machinery, but it's a great choice for new bikers
- 32. Honda CB125F - currently readingHonda’s CB125F offers smoothness and economy in a rider-friendly package
- 43. Piaggio MP3King of the commuter scooters, the Piaggio MP3 is a three-wheeler with real class
- 54. Honda Forza 125Honda’s attention to detail makes the Forza 125 a great budget bet
- 65. Yamaha TricityAnother flexible three-wheeler, the Yamaha Tricity is a fine urban runabout
- 76. Vespa Primavera 125The Vespa is a scooter icon and the latest Primavera 125 brings modern technology into the mix
- 87. Aprilia RS4 125An affordable scooter with race bike genes, meet the Aprilia RS4 125
- 98. Kawasaki J125Kawasaki has a reputation for fearsome sports bikes and there’s a little of that character in the J125, just not too much.
- 109. Suzuki VanVan 125The Suzuki VanVan 125 is a fashion accessory scooter with real character behind it.