A to Z of Car Tech
The ultimate A to Z guide to the latest car technology, helping car buyers bust through the jargon and understand the benefits
If you’ve ever found yourself confused by the relentless march of car technology, you’re not alone. Our cars are becoming increasingly advanced in terms of safety, efficiency, connectivity and, even, autonomy. If you ask the experts, the car tech available today is just the start.
We’re entering a period where the cars we drive will see a level of change unprecedented in the last 50 years. It means that now really is a good time to get yourself up to speed with the car tech revolution.
This is where our A to Z guide to car tech comes in. We’ve created a series of videos and articles explaining the key car technology features of the moment. The A to Z of Car Tech is designed as a tool for car buyers looking to understand the car technology jargon they’ll encounter in brochures and spec sheets when choosing a new car.
We cover everything from new electric and hybrid powertrain technologies to self-driving features, the latest materials and safety aids, explaining it all in simple terms. The aim is to help everyone make better, more informed decisions when it comes to choosing and specifying a new car.
The 26 instalments of the A to Z of Car Tech series will be launched on a weekly basis with the videos and accompanying articles published right here. Come back next week for the latest letter in our car tech alphabet…
The A to Z of car tech on video
- 1Introduction - currently readingThe ultimate A to Z guide to the latest car technology, helping car buyers bust through the jargon and understand the benefits
- 2A is for adaptive cruise control, ABS, airbags and more...The letter A in our A to Z of Car Tech explains adaptive cruise control, ABS brakes, Adaptive Terrain response and auto dimming mirrors
- 3B is for Blind Spot Monitoring, brakes and moreThe letter B in our A to Z of car tech series...
- 4C is for chassis, connectivity and moreThe letter C in our A to Z of car tech explains chassis tech, connectivity, cruise control and carbon fibre
- 5D is for diesel, dampers and moreThe letter D in our A to Z of car tech explains diesel, dampers, dynamic drive and designers
- 6E is for electric vehicles, engines and moreThe letter E in our A to Z of car tech explains electric vehicles, economy modes, engines and exhausts...
- 7F is for fly-by-wire, four-wheel drive and moreThe letter F in our A to Z of car tech series is for four-wheel drive, fly-by-wire and future technology.
- 8G is for gearbox, and moreThe letter G in our A to Z of car tech examines how gearboxes work
- 9H is for headlights, head up display and moreThe letter H in our A to Z of car tech series explains headlights, head up displays and hill descent control
- 10I is for Inconel and in-car protectionThe letter I in our A to Z of car tech explains the nickel-chromium alloy Inconel, plus in-car protection in the form of airbags
- 11J is for J-GateThe letter J in our A to Z of car tech series looks at the infamous J-Gate automatic transmission
- 12K is for keysThe letter K in our A to Z of car tech series takes a look at the humble car key
- 13L is for limited slip diff, live infotainment and moreThe letter L in our A to Z of car tech series explains limited slip differentials, live infotainment, and much more
- 14M is for monocoques, metallic paint and mirrorsThe letter M in our A to Z of car tech series explains monocoques, metallic paint and mirrors…
- 15N is for navigationThe letter N in our A to Z of car tech series explains the history of navigation