Your electric car questions answered - the ultimate EV and hybrid FAQ guide
Thinking of buying a plug-in car? You’ve probably got questions and we’ve got the answers
Few areas of automotive development have progressed as quickly as the move to electrification. Hybrid, plug-in hybrid (PHEV) and fully electric cars and vans no longer represent an interesting niche; they’re now firmly part of the motoring landscape.
It’s not hard to see why, either. With a wide range of models, and a number of different powertrains, switching to electrified transport has never been easier for consumers. High numbers of them seem to agree, too: almost 38,000 fully electric new cars took to the roads in 2019 – an increase of 144 per cent on 2018.
These figures will continue to grow. The government’s goal is to ban the sale of new non-hybrid petrol and diesel cars by 2040, but it’s considering bringing this date forward. The European Union is also financially incentivising car makers to increase sales of plug-in cars, and legislation to clean up local air pollution will make it harder and more expensive to drive non-EVs in towns and cities.
Doom and gloom? Far from it. As of August 2022, there are in excess of 56,000 connectors across more than 20,000 locations which means few EV owners will be far from one. Some manufacturers even offer incentives that make it cheaper than ever to install a home charger, so you’ll have a full charge every morning.
An electric car or plug-in hybrid might not suit your lifestyle right now but with the landscape changing so quickly, it’s likely that one soon will. Of course, it’s a completely unfamiliar technology to many people and as electric cars become more relevant, there are more questions that consumers need answering.
This raises a whole host of questions for motorists thinking about buying and electric car or already running one and this guide to the key electric car questions is here to help. We cover everything from charger types and speeds, running costs and government grants to whether you can tow your caravan.
Click the links below and we’ll answer all your electric car and plug-in hybrid questions for you...
- 1Introduction - currently readingThinking of buying a plug-in car? You’ve probably got questions and we’ve got the answers
- 2How much does it cost to charge an electric car?There's a lot of confusion around the cost of charging an electric car. Here are the facts...
- 3How much do electric cars cost to run?How much do electric cars cost to run? It's one of the big questions asked by EV buyers and we've got the answers...
- 4How much is company car tax on electric cars?The UK’s million or so company car users pay two per cent Benefit-in-Kind tax if they have an electric car in the 2022/23 financial year
- 5How long do electric car batteries last? The battery is a crucial part of your electric car and an expensive one. Here's everything you need to know about how long it will last...
- 6What are fast charging and rapid charging?Our guide gives you everything you need to know about electric car charger speeds and types in the UK
- 7Should i get a home electric car charger?If you’ve got an electric car and somewhere to park it at home, a home electric car charger is a great idea.
- 8Can you tow with an electric car?The towing capacities of electric cars can vary greatly with many not approved for towing at all, but hybrids are well suited to towing caravans or trailers
- 9What is a mild hybrid?Mild hybrid technology is becoming increasingly widespread in new cars today but what is a mild hybrid and should you buy one?
- 10Is there still an electric car grant?The UK plug-in car grant offered a discount on the cost of buying an electric car before being axed in 2022
- 11What's the future of electric cars?Electric car technology has developed at a rapid pace but where do we go from here?