Skoda’s Yeti crossover takes the overall Auto Express New Car Award for 2010.
Why it won...
The winner of our Car of the Year prize has to be the unanimous choice of our judging panel, and is picked from our line-up of class champions.
This year, the award goes to a car that blends the looks of an off-roader with the versatility of a compact MPV, but doesn’t demand the dynamic or financial compromises usually associated with either.
The Skoda Yeti mixes tough Tonka toy looks, sharp handling and a high-quality and spacious cabin with the brand’s famed value-for-money pricing and customer service. Its brilliant engine line-up ranges from the entry-level 1.2 TSI (arguably the sweetest of the lot) to a 168bhp 2.0-litre diesel, and buyers can also choose between two-wheel-drive or 4x4 models.
In addition, the VW Group’s excellent twin-clutch DSG transmission is available as an option. Best of all is the price, as the Yeti range kicks off at less than £14,000.
In a year that has seen the arrival of some truly special new cars, the Skoda is a worthy winner of our overall crown.
- 1Welcome to New Car Awards 2010!
- 2Car of the Year - currently readingSkoda’s Yeti crossover takes the overall Auto Express New Car Award for 2010.
- 3Person of the YearChairman and CEO, Bentley picks up the Award for automotive Person of the Year 2010.
- 4Special AwardInnovative Nissan Leaf electric car gets Special Award for groundbreaking technology.
- 5Design Award
- 6Best CoupéBest Coupe of the year is Peugeot’s stunning RCZ, which beats the Audi TT and VW Scirocco.
- 7Best Performance CarAudi R8 V10 Coupe is our Performance Car of the Year for 2010.
- 8Best Hot Hatch
- 9Best EstateSkoda’s Superb Estate lives up to the name and wins the award for Best Estate Car 2010.
- 10Best Compact FamilyVolkswagen Golf hatchback takes the award for the best compact family car.
- 11Best ConvertibleWinner of Best Convertible for 2010 is the BMW 3-Series Convertible.
- 12Best City CarThe Hyundai i10 supermini has been voted the Best City Car of 2010.
- 13Best LuxuryBest Luxury Car of 2010 is Mercedes’ high tech flagship S-Class saloon.
- 14Best Compact SUVBest Compact SUV of the year is the Land Rover Freelander 2 for the third year in a row.
- 15Best CrossoverBeating the Nissan Qashqai, the Skoda Yeti takes the Best Crossover of the Year Award.