Volkswagen Golf hatchback takes the award for the best compact family car.
Why it won...
A whole year has passed since the Golf picked up its first Compact Family Car award, but its appeal is undimmed. With its classy looks, high-quality cabin and executive car refinement, the VW still sets the standard. Better still, it’s great to drive, excellent value and has a brilliant range of engines – including the innovative turbocharged TSI petrol units.
Adding to the Golf’s long list of credits is a solid gold image. Despite its humble hatchback origins, the desirable VW is as much at home on the school run as it is parked outside a high-class hotel. And don’t forget the depth of the line-up.
Take a look at the price lists and you will find three and five-door hatchbacks, practical estates, environmentally friendly BlueMotion models and scorching hot hatches. It’s going to take something special to topple the VW in 2011.
Skoda Octavia Once again, Skoda has shown that motorists can have their cake and eat it. With its family car-sized interior and compact hatch price tag, the versatile Octavia is a bit of a bargain. And don’t forget its great build quality and entertaining driving dynamics. This is a practical family holdall that deserves to be Czeched out!
Mazda 3 Buyers who want eye-catching family transport should look no further than the sleek 3, but the Japanese hatchback isn’t all style and no substance. It also features a sharp chassis, plenty of kit and top-notch build quality. The only black mark is its limited cabin and boot space compared to rivals.
- 1Welcome to New Car Awards 2010!
- 2Car of the YearSkoda’s Yeti crossover takes the overall Auto Express New Car Award for 2010.
- 3Person of the YearChairman and CEO, Bentley picks up the Award for automotive Person of the Year 2010.
- 4Special AwardInnovative Nissan Leaf electric car gets Special Award for groundbreaking technology.
- 5Design Award
- 6Best CoupéBest Coupe of the year is Peugeot’s stunning RCZ, which beats the Audi TT and VW Scirocco.
- 7Best Performance CarAudi R8 V10 Coupe is our Performance Car of the Year for 2010.
- 8Best Hot Hatch
- 9Best EstateSkoda’s Superb Estate lives up to the name and wins the award for Best Estate Car 2010.
- 10Best Compact Family - currently readingVolkswagen Golf hatchback takes the award for the best compact family car.
- 11Best ConvertibleWinner of Best Convertible for 2010 is the BMW 3-Series Convertible.
- 12Best City CarThe Hyundai i10 supermini has been voted the Best City Car of 2010.
- 13Best LuxuryBest Luxury Car of 2010 is Mercedes’ high tech flagship S-Class saloon.
- 14Best Compact SUVBest Compact SUV of the year is the Land Rover Freelander 2 for the third year in a row.
- 15Best CrossoverBeating the Nissan Qashqai, the Skoda Yeti takes the Best Crossover of the Year Award.