Best Luxury Car of 2010 is Mercedes’ high tech flagship S-Class saloon.
Why it won...
The S-Class has been a high-profile target this year – yet it maintains its place at the top of the luxury tree as the ultimate expression of Mercedes ownership. Jaguar’s new XJ tried to knock the brilliant S off its throne in February, but came up short, while the Audi A8 flagship has recently arrived with the same objective.
What sets the Merc apart is its all-round talent and ability to turn its hand to anything. Whether you need a discreet and spacious limousine, or a sporty and head-turning saloon, you’ll find something in the range that does the job.
And when it comes to image and prestige, it’s still hard to beat the instantly recognisable S-Class for sheer desirability. Turning up to a board meeting? About to walk down the red carpet? This Mercedes will suit the occasion.
Jaguar XJ It’s the most distinctive offering in the luxury saloon market – and the XJ will be the prime choice for keen drivers, with its sharp handling and muscular engines. Only the restricted rear headroom and low-speed ride comfort let it down. Meanwhile, the storming Supersport flagship is a genuine powerhouse.
Audi A8 The fresh A8 is hugely understated, but that will be exactly what some buyers want. The technology-laden newcomer has a high-class cabin, plus a choice of diesel engines – rare in this sector – and Audi’s quattro four-wheel-drive hardware. It’s a tempting luxury car.
- 1Welcome to New Car Awards 2010!
- 2Car of the YearSkoda’s Yeti crossover takes the overall Auto Express New Car Award for 2010.
- 3Person of the YearChairman and CEO, Bentley picks up the Award for automotive Person of the Year 2010.
- 4Special AwardInnovative Nissan Leaf electric car gets Special Award for groundbreaking technology.
- 5Design Award
- 6Best CoupéBest Coupe of the year is Peugeot’s stunning RCZ, which beats the Audi TT and VW Scirocco.
- 7Best Performance CarAudi R8 V10 Coupe is our Performance Car of the Year for 2010.
- 8Best Hot Hatch
- 9Best EstateSkoda’s Superb Estate lives up to the name and wins the award for Best Estate Car 2010.
- 10Best Compact FamilyVolkswagen Golf hatchback takes the award for the best compact family car.
- 11Best ConvertibleWinner of Best Convertible for 2010 is the BMW 3-Series Convertible.
- 12Best City CarThe Hyundai i10 supermini has been voted the Best City Car of 2010.
- 13Best Luxury - currently readingBest Luxury Car of 2010 is Mercedes’ high tech flagship S-Class saloon.
- 14Best Compact SUVBest Compact SUV of the year is the Land Rover Freelander 2 for the third year in a row.
- 15Best CrossoverBeating the Nissan Qashqai, the Skoda Yeti takes the Best Crossover of the Year Award.