Skoda Superb Estate
Skoda’s Superb Estate lives up to the name and wins the award for Best Estate Car 2010.
Why it won...
The Superb saloon is a firm Auto Express favourite, and the arrival of the Estate has broadened the model’s appeal even further.
The four-door’s high-quality cabin, sharp dynamics and imposing looks have been given an added dose of practicality – and the load-carrier’s huge 633-litre boot leads the class.
A revised rear end also improves the styling, so the Superb is a rare thing – a car that looks even better as an estate than it does as a hatchback or saloon.
A brilliant engine line-up, the option of the VW Group’s DSG gearbox and the availability of a 4x4 transmission also mean the range enjoys the kind of strength in depth required to win this prize.
The fact that the model comes with hugely competitive price tags, generous equipment levels and the promise of Skoda reliability and aftersales service makes it a deserving winner of our Estate Car award.
Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer Last year’s champion is still a worthy estate car choice – it just isn’t as spacious or as competitively priced as its Czech competitor. High-quality cabin and strong engine line-up add to its appeal, while the line-up was augmented by 4x4 versions this year.
Mercedes E-Class Estate The E-Class is best enjoyed as an estate. Its saloon and coupé stablemates are decent offerings, but the load-carrier really rates ahead of its traditional German rivals thanks to its winning blend of comfort, refinement, pace and practicality. Mercedes has a rich estate car heritage, and it shows in the latest E-Class.
- 1Welcome to New Car Awards 2010!
- 2Car of the YearSkoda’s Yeti crossover takes the overall Auto Express New Car Award for 2010.
- 3Person of the YearChairman and CEO, Bentley picks up the Award for automotive Person of the Year 2010.
- 4Special AwardInnovative Nissan Leaf electric car gets Special Award for groundbreaking technology.
- 5Design Award
- 6Best CoupéBest Coupe of the year is Peugeot’s stunning RCZ, which beats the Audi TT and VW Scirocco.
- 7Best Performance CarAudi R8 V10 Coupe is our Performance Car of the Year for 2010.
- 8Best Hot Hatch
- 9Best Estate - currently readingSkoda’s Superb Estate lives up to the name and wins the award for Best Estate Car 2010.
- 10Best Compact FamilyVolkswagen Golf hatchback takes the award for the best compact family car.
- 11Best ConvertibleWinner of Best Convertible for 2010 is the BMW 3-Series Convertible.
- 12Best City CarThe Hyundai i10 supermini has been voted the Best City Car of 2010.
- 13Best LuxuryBest Luxury Car of 2010 is Mercedes’ high tech flagship S-Class saloon.
- 14Best Compact SUVBest Compact SUV of the year is the Land Rover Freelander 2 for the third year in a row.
- 15Best CrossoverBeating the Nissan Qashqai, the Skoda Yeti takes the Best Crossover of the Year Award.