Beating the Nissan Qashqai, the Skoda Yeti takes the Best Crossover of the Year Award.
Why it won...
If Tonka made real cars, the Skoda Yeti is how they would look – but the crossover is more than just a chunky shape. It’s designed to attract buyers of traditional compact SUVs, as well as motorists who currently drive a regular family hatch, and it’s easy to see the appeal.
It comes with a choice of two or four-wheel drive, a roomy interior full of high-quality trim and the best engine technology that the VW Group has to offer. So the Yeti provides the styling of a tough off-roader with the running costs of a conventional family model.
Picking a favourite isn’t easy, as the line-up is really strong, but the 1.2-litre TSI is a brilliant choice. Generous equipment and Skoda’s famed reliability and customer service take care of the rest.
Ford Kuga The biggest complaint we’ve got about the stylish Kuga is the limited scope of the line-up. It’s a typical Ford, with smart looks, fantastic driving dynamics and affordable running costs. The Kuga represents the sporty end of the crossover market, and now features revised engines and the option of Ford’s dual-clutch Powershift gearbox.
Nissan Qashqai It’s the car that started the crossover craze, and the Nissan still makes sense today. A facelift this year has kept rivals on their toes – so if you want a distinctive and affordable alternative to a family hatch, it deserves a look. Uniquely in this class, the Qashqai+2 provides an extra row of seats, which will appeal to buyers of conventional MPVs.
- 1Welcome to New Car Awards 2010!
- 2Car of the YearSkoda’s Yeti crossover takes the overall Auto Express New Car Award for 2010.
- 3Person of the YearChairman and CEO, Bentley picks up the Award for automotive Person of the Year 2010.
- 4Special AwardInnovative Nissan Leaf electric car gets Special Award for groundbreaking technology.
- 5Design Award
- 6Best CoupéBest Coupe of the year is Peugeot’s stunning RCZ, which beats the Audi TT and VW Scirocco.
- 7Best Performance CarAudi R8 V10 Coupe is our Performance Car of the Year for 2010.
- 8Best Hot Hatch
- 9Best EstateSkoda’s Superb Estate lives up to the name and wins the award for Best Estate Car 2010.
- 10Best Compact FamilyVolkswagen Golf hatchback takes the award for the best compact family car.
- 11Best ConvertibleWinner of Best Convertible for 2010 is the BMW 3-Series Convertible.
- 12Best City CarThe Hyundai i10 supermini has been voted the Best City Car of 2010.
- 13Best LuxuryBest Luxury Car of 2010 is Mercedes’ high tech flagship S-Class saloon.
- 14Best Compact SUVBest Compact SUV of the year is the Land Rover Freelander 2 for the third year in a row.
- 15Best Crossover - currently readingBeating the Nissan Qashqai, the Skoda Yeti takes the Best Crossover of the Year Award.