Best Coupe of the year is Peugeot’s stunning RCZ, which beats the Audi TT and VW Scirocco.
Why it won...
We always said it would take something special to topple the Audi TT – and we were right! In a sector where eye-catching looks are everything, the stunning RCZ stands head and shoulders above its rivals.
With its swooping lines, distinctive ‘double bubble’ roof and bold detailing, the French machine looks like it has driven straight off the designer’s drawing board. Better still, the RCZ’s beauty is much more than skin deep.
Sharp driving dynamics and punchy powerplants recall the firm’s legendary Eighties hot hatches, while the smartly designed cabin serves up first class fit and finish. The tiny rear seats are for children only, but this black mark is soon forgotten when you see the great value prices and lengthy list of standard kit. If you want to be the centre of attention in this year’s ‘must-have’ machine, look no further...
Audi TT: After three years, the TT had to lose its crown sometime, but with its distinctive looks, impeccable build quality and engaging driving dynamics, it is still a contender. Audi’s immense appeal is boosted by the wide engine line-up, cosseting cabin and quattro all-wheel-drive transmission.
Volkswagen Scirocco A runner’s-up spot is no disgrace for the capable Scirocco. It’s great to drive, looks striking and is a genuine four-seater. The new R flagship delivers sports car pace, but it’s the less frenetic 1.4 and 2.0-litre TSI models that offer the best blend of performance, poise and price.
- 1Welcome to New Car Awards 2010!
- 2Car of the YearSkoda’s Yeti crossover takes the overall Auto Express New Car Award for 2010.
- 3Person of the YearChairman and CEO, Bentley picks up the Award for automotive Person of the Year 2010.
- 4Special AwardInnovative Nissan Leaf electric car gets Special Award for groundbreaking technology.
- 5Design Award
- 6Best Coupé - currently readingBest Coupe of the year is Peugeot’s stunning RCZ, which beats the Audi TT and VW Scirocco.
- 7Best Performance CarAudi R8 V10 Coupe is our Performance Car of the Year for 2010.
- 8Best Hot Hatch
- 9Best EstateSkoda’s Superb Estate lives up to the name and wins the award for Best Estate Car 2010.
- 10Best Compact FamilyVolkswagen Golf hatchback takes the award for the best compact family car.
- 11Best ConvertibleWinner of Best Convertible for 2010 is the BMW 3-Series Convertible.
- 12Best City CarThe Hyundai i10 supermini has been voted the Best City Car of 2010.
- 13Best LuxuryBest Luxury Car of 2010 is Mercedes’ high tech flagship S-Class saloon.
- 14Best Compact SUVBest Compact SUV of the year is the Land Rover Freelander 2 for the third year in a row.
- 15Best CrossoverBeating the Nissan Qashqai, the Skoda Yeti takes the Best Crossover of the Year Award.