Chairman and CEO, Bentley picks up the Award for automotive Person of the Year 2010.
Why he won...
Having enjoyed stints at Ford, Audi, Lamborghini and Bugatti, Dr Franz-Josef Paefgen isn’t short of career highlights – he oversaw the development of the Bugatti Veyron supercar, no less!
But the German has also worked wonders to establish the success of a peculiarly British brand. Since he took over in 2002, Bentley has gone from strength to strength. As well as making a successful Le Mans 24 Hours return, it launched the first truly modern Bentley – the Continental GT.
Under Paefgen’s careful and passionate stewardship, it now builds some of the most desirable luxury cars in the world, including the wonderful Mulsanne saloon.
To understand his achievement, you only have to look at the healthy order book and the model line-up – which is the strongest in Bentley’s history.
English football fans may think that foreign managers don’t understand the complexities of our heritage or culture, but Paefgen’s success proves this doesn’t hold true in the automotive world.
- 1Welcome to New Car Awards 2010!
- 2Car of the YearSkoda’s Yeti crossover takes the overall Auto Express New Car Award for 2010.
- 3Person of the Year - currently readingChairman and CEO, Bentley picks up the Award for automotive Person of the Year 2010.
- 4Special AwardInnovative Nissan Leaf electric car gets Special Award for groundbreaking technology.
- 5Design Award
- 6Best CoupéBest Coupe of the year is Peugeot’s stunning RCZ, which beats the Audi TT and VW Scirocco.
- 7Best Performance CarAudi R8 V10 Coupe is our Performance Car of the Year for 2010.
- 8Best Hot Hatch
- 9Best EstateSkoda’s Superb Estate lives up to the name and wins the award for Best Estate Car 2010.
- 10Best Compact FamilyVolkswagen Golf hatchback takes the award for the best compact family car.
- 11Best ConvertibleWinner of Best Convertible for 2010 is the BMW 3-Series Convertible.
- 12Best City CarThe Hyundai i10 supermini has been voted the Best City Car of 2010.
- 13Best LuxuryBest Luxury Car of 2010 is Mercedes’ high tech flagship S-Class saloon.
- 14Best Compact SUVBest Compact SUV of the year is the Land Rover Freelander 2 for the third year in a row.
- 15Best CrossoverBeating the Nissan Qashqai, the Skoda Yeti takes the Best Crossover of the Year Award.