Volvo S90 - best executive cars
The Volvo S90 is a worthy rival of the Mercedes E-Class, Audi A6 and BMW 5 Series
Big Volvos have long been top executive choices, but in recent years the company's larger cars haven't lived up to their reputation. Thankfully, Volvo is back on form with the S90, and it's a fantastic car which is a genuine alternative to large executive saloons.
The S90 is an imposing car, with styling lifted from the XC90 SUV – that means distinctive 'Thor's Hammer' headlights, and a bold and upright grille. The interior has been largely taken from that car too, which is great – it's effortlessly stylish, great quality, and a wonderful place in which to sit. The comfy seats help, too.
The S90 is available with a pair of four-cylinder diesel enginesbadged D4 and D5, and there's a T8 Twin Engine plug-in hybridmodel available, too. The diesels are the best option if you don't have the ability to plug the T8 into charge the battery, as they're fairly powerful and very efficient thanks to clever electronic turbocharging technology.
Best executive cars to buy 2019
- 1IntroductionExecutive cars might cost a little more, but the best ones add a real touch of class to your motoring experience…
- 21. BMW 3 SeriesThe new BMW 3 Series is difficult to criticise, combining superb practicality and driving engagement in a familiar package
- 32. BMW 5 SeriesLatest G30 generation of BMW's executive saloon sits at the top of the class
- 43. Mercedes C-ClassThe latest Mercedes C-Class ticks all the boxes if you're looking for stylish compact executive car
- 54. Alfa Romeo Giulia Rear-wheel drive fun, Italian styling and a great engine range help make the Alfa Romeo Giulia one of the best executive cars
- 65. Volvo S90 - currently readingThe Volvo S90 is a worthy rival of the Mercedes E-Class, Audi A6 and BMW 5 Series
- 76. Mercedes E-ClassThe Mercedes E-Class is up there with the very best in the compact executive saloon class
- 87. Jaguar XEA facelift in 2019 keeps the Jaguar XE a highly competitive car in its segment with brilliant handling and a smart interior
- 98. Audi A6The Audi A6 has many awards and is still a popular choice in the executive car sector
- 109. Jaguar XFThe Jaguar XF is a great executive car, and a worthy rival to the BMW 5 Series and Audi A6
- 1110. Tesla Model 3We waited years for Tesla to release the Model 3 and it didn’t disappoint