Jaguar XE - best executive cars
A facelift in 2019 keeps the Jaguar XE a highly competitive car in its segment with brilliant handling and a smart interior
It won thanks to its class-leading handling, but now Jaguar has given the XE a refresh for 2019 to ensure it stays competitive against the new BMW 3 Series.
On the outside there’s a more aggressive front and rear end, while the headlights have had a small re-style. The interior benefits from a new steering wheel and high-quality materials, but it’s still slightly below its German rivals in terms of fit and finish.
The refresh of the XE’s infotainment is a welcome addition. Jaguar’s Touch Pro Duo system (lifted from the I-Pace) is a £400 option and it gives you a 10.2-inch touchscreen and second touchscreen situated slightly lower on the centre console. This set-up feels nice to use with a mix of rotary dials and touchscreen useability, plus there’s now Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity as standard.
The biggest selling point of the Jaguar XE is the way it drives. The engines aren’t quite the best in class but the 178bhp 2.0-litre diesel goes from 0-62mph in 8.1 seconds while offering decent fuel economy - and, in R-Dynamic S trim, it’s our pick of the range. There are more powerful petrol options with 247bhp and 296bhp, with the former getting rear-wheel and the more powerful motor getting four-wheel drive. The rear-wheel drive set up works best as it highlights the suppleness of the chassis and the overall sense of balance.
An eight-speed automatic is the only gearbox option so if you’re dead-set on a manual, you’ll have to look elsewhere. The ZF ‘box is an excellent unit though, snappy when you’re using the paddles and effortlessly smooth when in full auto.
Best executive cars to buy 2019
- 1IntroductionExecutive cars might cost a little more, but the best ones add a real touch of class to your motoring experience…
- 21. BMW 3 SeriesThe new BMW 3 Series is difficult to criticise, combining superb practicality and driving engagement in a familiar package
- 32. BMW 5 SeriesLatest G30 generation of BMW's executive saloon sits at the top of the class
- 43. Mercedes C-ClassThe latest Mercedes C-Class ticks all the boxes if you're looking for stylish compact executive car
- 54. Alfa Romeo Giulia Rear-wheel drive fun, Italian styling and a great engine range help make the Alfa Romeo Giulia one of the best executive cars
- 65. Volvo S90The Volvo S90 is a worthy rival of the Mercedes E-Class, Audi A6 and BMW 5 Series
- 76. Mercedes E-ClassThe Mercedes E-Class is up there with the very best in the compact executive saloon class
- 87. Jaguar XE - currently readingA facelift in 2019 keeps the Jaguar XE a highly competitive car in its segment with brilliant handling and a smart interior
- 98. Audi A6The Audi A6 has many awards and is still a popular choice in the executive car sector
- 109. Jaguar XFThe Jaguar XF is a great executive car, and a worthy rival to the BMW 5 Series and Audi A6
- 1110. Tesla Model 3We waited years for Tesla to release the Model 3 and it didn’t disappoint