Jaguar XF - best executive cars
The Jaguar XF is a great executive car, and a worthy rival to the BMW 5 Series and Audi A6
The Jaguar XF is a handsome-looking, good-to-drive executive saloon that offers something different to the German models that dominate the sector. The cabin design is smart, but the touchscreen and navigation system are a bit dated.
The Jaguar XF is poised and agile when on a twisty country road, and the steering is quick and well weighted too. There’s plenty of grip, but the XF does suffer from body roll on its soft suspension – although it’s well balanced and has good feedback through the wheel. The standard eight-speed automatic gearbox is responsive and smooth.
Unfortunately, the low-speed ride is fidgety and uncomfortable, but comfort improves the faster you go, while wind and road noise are well isolated. The BMW 5 Series or Mercedes E-Class are quieter on the motorway, but the XF still cruises effortlessly.
Best executive cars to buy 2019
- 1IntroductionExecutive cars might cost a little more, but the best ones add a real touch of class to your motoring experience…
- 21. BMW 3 SeriesThe new BMW 3 Series is difficult to criticise, combining superb practicality and driving engagement in a familiar package
- 32. BMW 5 SeriesLatest G30 generation of BMW's executive saloon sits at the top of the class
- 43. Mercedes C-ClassThe latest Mercedes C-Class ticks all the boxes if you're looking for stylish compact executive car
- 54. Alfa Romeo Giulia Rear-wheel drive fun, Italian styling and a great engine range help make the Alfa Romeo Giulia one of the best executive cars
- 65. Volvo S90The Volvo S90 is a worthy rival of the Mercedes E-Class, Audi A6 and BMW 5 Series
- 76. Mercedes E-ClassThe Mercedes E-Class is up there with the very best in the compact executive saloon class
- 87. Jaguar XEA facelift in 2019 keeps the Jaguar XE a highly competitive car in its segment with brilliant handling and a smart interior
- 98. Audi A6The Audi A6 has many awards and is still a popular choice in the executive car sector
- 109. Jaguar XF - currently readingThe Jaguar XF is a great executive car, and a worthy rival to the BMW 5 Series and Audi A6