Mercedes E-Class - best executive cars
The Mercedes E-Class is up there with the very best in the compact executive saloon class
The latest E-Class arrived in 2016, and put simply is one of the best cars Mercedes has ever produced. The E-Class comes with a high level of technology and its premium feel ought to be enough to make you think twice about whether you really need to step up to an S-Class.
On the outside, it's fair to say Mercedes hasn't strayed far from the standard formula - the design is evolutionary rather than revolutionary, and could easily be mistaken for its larger or smaller siblings, the S-Class and C-Class. A sleek estate version, coupe and convertible are available for those wishing to stray from convention.
Inside is where the big news is. Only base-spec models get any analogue gauges - above that, it's LCD displays all the way. Two 12-inch screens display all the information you could possibly want. Refinement is also top-notch, while the S-Class-inspired technology should make the E-Class incredibly safe and easy to live with.
With all the technology on the inside, it's almost easy to forget about what's under the bonnet – but an excellent range of new diesel engines is likely to top the sales charts. Suspension and handling is biased towards comfort, and the E-Class is a relaxing car to travel in.
Best executive cars to buy 2019
- 1IntroductionExecutive cars might cost a little more but the best ones add a real touch of class to your motoring experience…
- 21. BMW 3 SeriesThe new BMW 3 Series is difficult to criticise, combining superb practicality and driving engagement in a familiar package
- 32. BMW 5 SeriesLatest G30 generation of BMW's executive saloon sits at the top of the class
- 43. Mercedes C-ClassThe latest Mercedes C-Class ticks all the boxes if you're looking for stylish compact executive car
- 54. Alfa Romeo Giulia Rear-wheel drive fun, Italian styling and a great engine range help make the Alfa Romeo Giulia one of the best executive cars
- 65. Volvo S90The Volvo S90 is a worthy rival of the Mercedes E-Class, Audi A6 and BMW 5 Series
- 76. Mercedes E-Class - currently readingThe Mercedes E-Class is up there with the very best in the compact executive saloon class
- 87. Jaguar XEA facelift in 2019 keeps the Jaguar XE a highly competitive car in its segment with brilliant handling and a smart interior
- 98. Audi A6The Audi A6 has many awards and is still a popular choice in the executive car sector
- 109. Jaguar XFThe Jaguar XF is a great executive car, and a worthy rival to the BMW 5 Series and Audi A6
- 1110. Tesla Model 3We waited years for Tesla to release the Model 3 and it didn’t disappoint