Tesla Model 3 - best executive cars
We waited years for Tesla to release the Model 3 and it didn’t disappoint
If you think about the industry-leading technology featured on the Model 3 and the way performance, style, and practicality are packaged in an electric car for the first time, the abundance of awards is not surprising.
As with all electric cars, range is the most queried stat. With up to 348 miles, the Model 3 should quell any range anxiety and will be enough to deal with most lifestyles. The Standard Range version is our pick as it’s the cheapest, but its 180kW motor is good for 254-mile range and a 0-60mph time of 5.3 seconds. While this is enough to surprise many focused sports cars, the Performance version jolts from 0-60 in an incredible 3.2 seconds.
It’s not just acceleration and range where the Model 3 excels. The quietness of the electric motor and the relatively well-judged damping make for a refined ride, despite the Model 3’s considerable heft. The steering isn’t as accurate as a BMW 3 Series however, and it just comes up short of the German car in terms of sheer driving fun.
The interior is futuristically minimalist and is a refreshing approach to the clutter of having dozens of buttons, though some might call it dull. There’s plenty of space inside with plenty of headroom in both the front and rear. The big windows also help with the feeling of airiness in the cabin. When coupled together, the front and rear boots total 425 litres - 55 litres smaller than a 3 Series.
Fans of old-fashioned buttons won’t like the 15-inch infotainment screen which controls every conceivable function on the Model 3. The infotainment system itself is different to most other manufacturer’s designs and takes some getting used to, but it’s intuitive and responsive.
Best executive cars to buy 2019
- 1IntroductionExecutive cars might cost a little more, but the best ones add a real touch of class to your motoring experience…
- 21. BMW 3 SeriesThe new BMW 3 Series is difficult to criticise, combining superb practicality and driving engagement in a familiar package
- 32. BMW 5 SeriesLatest G30 generation of BMW's executive saloon sits at the top of the class
- 43. Mercedes C-ClassThe latest Mercedes C-Class ticks all the boxes if you're looking for stylish compact executive car
- 54. Alfa Romeo Giulia Rear-wheel drive fun, Italian styling and a great engine range help make the Alfa Romeo Giulia one of the best executive cars
- 65. Volvo S90The Volvo S90 is a worthy rival of the Mercedes E-Class, Audi A6 and BMW 5 Series
- 76. Mercedes E-ClassThe Mercedes E-Class is up there with the very best in the compact executive saloon class
- 87. Jaguar XEA facelift in 2019 keeps the Jaguar XE a highly competitive car in its segment with brilliant handling and a smart interior
- 98. Audi A6The Audi A6 has many awards and is still a popular choice in the executive car sector
- 109. Jaguar XFThe Jaguar XF is a great executive car, and a worthy rival to the BMW 5 Series and Audi A6