BMW 5 Series - best executive cars
Latest G30 generation of BMW's executive saloon sits at the top of the class
The BMW 5 Series has over 40 years of development under its belt, and when you consider that even the fourth-generation was considered just about the best car in the world, it's no surprise that this latest seventh-generation G30 is the best executive on the market today.
Like its predecessors, BMW's Ultimate Driving Machine philosophy remains intact, with engaging rear-wheel-drive handling and excellent performance whatever engine you choose. But the main thing that sets the latest 5 Series apart from its rivals is the sheer amount of technology on board.
It uses plenty of the cutting-edge features from the 7 Series limo, including lightweight carbon fibre reinforced plastic in its construction, and a long list of electronic driver aids, including adaptive cruise and lane keeping, and even remote-control parking from outside the vehicle.
Where the 5 Series really impresses is that it manages to be a technical showcase, yet still delivers the efficient running costs business users need. Go for the 520d, and you get emissions from 117g/km, which will keep BIK costs keen.
Best executive cars to buy 2019
- 1IntroductionExecutive cars might cost a little more, but the best ones add a real touch of class to your motoring experience…
- 21. BMW 3 SeriesThe new BMW 3 Series is difficult to criticise, combining superb practicality and driving engagement in a familiar package
- 32. BMW 5 Series - currently readingLatest G30 generation of BMW's executive saloon sits at the top of the class
- 43. Mercedes C-ClassThe latest Mercedes C-Class ticks all the boxes if you're looking for stylish compact executive car
- 54. Alfa Romeo Giulia Rear-wheel drive fun, Italian styling and a great engine range help make the Alfa Romeo Giulia one of the best executive cars
- 65. Volvo S90The Volvo S90 is a worthy rival of the Mercedes E-Class, Audi A6 and BMW 5 Series
- 76. Mercedes E-ClassThe Mercedes E-Class is up there with the very best in the compact executive saloon class
- 87. Jaguar XEA facelift in 2019 keeps the Jaguar XE a highly competitive car in its segment with brilliant handling and a smart interior
- 98. Audi A6The Audi A6 has many awards and is still a popular choice in the executive car sector
- 109. Jaguar XFThe Jaguar XF is a great executive car, and a worthy rival to the BMW 5 Series and Audi A6
- 1110. Tesla Model 3We waited years for Tesla to release the Model 3 and it didn’t disappoint