BMW 1 Series M Coupe - Best BMW M cars
M car fans had been crying out for a return to the ethos of the E30 M3, and the 1 Series M Coupe was it
There was something of a ‘back to basics’ feel about the 1 Series M Coupe from 2011, with its compact dimensions, straight-six engine and manual-only gearbox. It was even relatively affordable, and with a widened-track, aggressive body kit and plenty of race-track inspired styling cues, the car looked every inch the M car enthusiasts were pining for.
It drove the way an M car should, too, in spite of prior fears that a twin turbo-fed six would in some way diminish the pleasure.
BMW originally planned to build fewer than 3,000 examples of the 1 Series M Coupe, but rave reviews in the media and enthusiastic would-be owners resulted in that figure more than doubling before production ceased in 2012.
- 1IntroductionWith a legendary roster of fabulous performance cars in its illustrious history, here's our pick of the M power crop...
- 2BMW M1The M1 was a racing supercar for the road, and still sets pulses racing today
- 3BMW M3 E30Hailed as one of the best-handling cars ever, the original M3 is a nailed-on classic
- 4BMW M5 E39The E39 BMW M5 was the car that started the German saloon horsepower war
- 5BMW 3.0 CSL E9Known as 'The Batmobile' the BMW 3.0 CSL was a proper homologation special for the road
- 6BMW M5 E28The mighty BMW M5 E28 remains one of the finest performance saloons ever
- 7BMW M3 E46Great looks, great performance and a hardcore limited-run model to boot, the E46 BMW M3 had it all
- 8BMW 1 Series M Coupe - currently readingM car fans had been crying out for a return to the ethos of the E30 M3, and the 1 Series M Coupe was it
- 9BMW M635 CSi E24The shark nose M635i exudes retro charm today but still packs a mighty punch
- 10BMW M5 Touring E61M car estates are a rare breed but the E61 M5 Touring has an F1-inspired V10 engine to make it well worth seeking out