BMW M5 Touring E61 - Best BMW M cars
M car estates are a rare breed but the E61 M5 Touring has an F1-inspired V10 engine to make it well worth seeking out
Come on… you always wanted a paddle-shift equipped estate car with a 5.0-litre V10 making 500+bhp and almost 8,000rpm. And with the E61 M5 Touring, that’s what BMW delivered.
If the engine choice seems faintly ludicrous in this era of down-sizing and multiple turbos, back in the early 'noughties it obviously seemed sensible to develop an M car with an obvious link to the BMW Sauber F1 car. Ironically V10s left the F1 stage in 2006 due to an efficiency drive, but that wasn’t going to stop the M5’s party – and anyway, in reality the road-going V10 had nothing at all in common with the F1 engine. Apart from a stupendous turn of speed, of course, with some testers of the E60 saloon version quoting figures around the 4-second mark for the 0-60mph sprint.
- 1IntroductionWith a legendary roster of fabulous performance cars in its illustrious history, here's our pick of the M power crop...
- 2BMW M1The M1 was a racing supercar for the road, and still sets pulses racing today
- 3BMW M3 E30Hailed as one of the best-handling cars ever, the original M3 is a nailed-on classic
- 4BMW M5 E39The E39 BMW M5 was the car that started the German saloon horsepower war
- 5BMW 3.0 CSL E9Known as 'The Batmobile' the BMW 3.0 CSL was a proper homologation special for the road
- 6BMW M5 E28The mighty BMW M5 E28 remains one of the finest performance saloons ever
- 7BMW M3 E46Great looks, great performance and a hardcore limited-run model to boot, the E46 BMW M3 had it all
- 8BMW 1 Series M CoupeM car fans had been crying out for a return to the ethos of the E30 M3, and the 1 Series M Coupe was it
- 9BMW M635 CSi E24The shark nose M635i exudes retro charm today but still packs a mighty punch
- 10BMW M5 Touring E61 - currently readingM car estates are a rare breed but the E61 M5 Touring has an F1-inspired V10 engine to make it well worth seeking out
- 11BMW M5 F10The F10 M5 moved from V10 to V8 power, proving that downsizing isn't all bad