BMW M5 E28 - Best BMW M cars
The mighty BMW M5 E28 remains one of the finest performance saloons ever
The first of the M5 high-performance saloons, and for many BMW purists the best. When launched in 1985, the E28 M5 was the fastest four-door car on sale – which considering its top speed was 156mph seems somewhat surprising in our power-crazed era. But a Ferrari 328 from the same era had less power (and was only moderately more pricey), which puts the E28 M5 into perspective.
In spite of its understated styling the car was a thoroughbred under the skin, using a version of the 3.5-litre straight six developed from the engine in the M1 supercar.
The E34 M5 saloon followed on and kept the spicy recipe alive, and neither the E39 or F10 versions of the M5 that also make this list would have happened without the E28 M car.
- Production: 2,191 (1985-1988)
- Engine: 3.5-litre, six-cylinder
- BHP: 282bhp
- 0-62mph: 6.1 seconds
- Max speed: 156mph
- 1IntroductionWith a legendary roster of fabulous performance cars in its illustrious history, here's our pick of the M power crop...
- 2BMW M1The M1 was a racing supercar for the road, and still sets pulses racing today
- 3BMW M3 E30Hailed as one of the best-handling cars ever, the original M3 is a nailed-on classic
- 4BMW 3.0 CSL E9Known as 'The Batmobile' the BMW 3.0 CSL was a proper homologation special for the road
- 5BMW M3 E46Great looks, great performance and a hardcore limited-run model to boot, the E46 BMW M3 had it all
- 6BMW 1 Series M CoupeM car fans had been crying out for a return to the ethos of the E30 M3, and the 1 Series M Coupe was it
- 7BMW M635 CSi E24The shark nose M635 CSi exudes retro charm today but still packs a mighty punch
- 8BMW M5 E60/E61 Touring M car estates are a rare breed but the E61 M5 Touring has an F1-inspired V10 engine to make it well worth seeking out and the E60 saloon wasn't bad either
- 9BMW M5 F10The F10 M5 moved from V10 to V8 power, proving that downsizing isn't all bad
- 10BMW M3 GTS E92 Huge performance came at a huge cost but the M3 GTS remains one of the most focused M cars to be let out of the box
- 11BMW Z3 M CoupeThe M Coupe is unlike any M car before or since and it still holds a place in the hearts of many fans, while others can't stand the sight of it.
- 12BMW M3 G80The G80 M3 offers huge performance and a massive technology count to go with its grille of epic proportions
- 13BMW M5 E39The E39 BMW M5 was the car that started the German saloon horsepower war
- 14BMW M5 E28 - currently readingThe mighty BMW M5 E28 remains one of the finest performance saloons ever