BMW M1 - Best BMW M cars
The M1 was a racing supercar for the road, and still sets pulses racing today
BMW made fewer than 500 copies of the fabulously exotic for its time M1 supercar, and they’re incredibly sought after today.
The mid-engined M1 was only in production from 1978 to 1981, but with the help of a one make race series it soon became the stuff of legend – although not always in a good way, as the racing project was mired in misfortune.
Still, the car looked genuinely fantastic thanks to stunning Guigiaro designed bodywork, and its style alone would have been enough to guarantee the BMW M1 a place in the automotive hall of fame.
It’s engine was a 3.5-litre unit straight six which is small fry compared to the multi-cylinder monsters we’re used to in modern times, but who cares if 273bhp and 162mph in a road car is hot hatch territory today?
In its hey-day, the BMW was absolutely a hero car, and for many BMW M fans it still is.
- 1IntroductionWith a legendary roster of fabulous performance cars in its illustrious history, here's our pick of the M power crop...
- 2BMW M1 - currently readingThe M1 was a racing supercar for the road, and still sets pulses racing today
- 3BMW M3 E30Hailed as one of the best-handling cars ever, the original M3 is a nailed-on classic
- 4BMW M5 E39The E39 BMW M5 was the car that started the German saloon horsepower war
- 5BMW 3.0 CSL E9Known as 'The Batmobile' the BMW 3.0 CSL was a proper homologation special for the road
- 6BMW M5 E28The mighty BMW M5 E28 remains one of the finest performance saloons ever
- 7BMW M3 E46Great looks, great performance and a hardcore limited-run model to boot, the E46 BMW M3 had it all
- 8BMW 1 Series M CoupeM car fans had been crying out for a return to the ethos of the E30 M3, and the 1 Series M Coupe was it
- 9BMW M635 CSi E24The shark nose M635i exudes retro charm today but still packs a mighty punch
- 10BMW M5 Touring E61M car estates are a rare breed but the E61 M5 Touring has an F1-inspired V10 engine to make it well worth seeking out
- 11BMW M5 F10The F10 M5 moved from V10 to V8 power, proving that downsizing isn't all bad