BMW M3 E46 - Best BMW M cars
Great looks, great performance and a hardcore limited-run model to boot, the E46 BMW M3 had it all
The fabulous E46 M3 was the last in the line before the model’s character changed completely with the introduction of V8 power. When the E46 was born in late 2000, the high-revving BMW straight six engine was still king of the road – this time with 333bhp, an 8,000rpm red-line, electronic throttle control, and the option of steering-wheel paddle-shifters for the 6 speed transmission. If that wasn’t enough to set enthusiasts drooling, the limited edition CSL version was a stripped-out lightweight version with carbon fibre roof panel and further uprated running gear.
- 1IntroductionWith a legendary roster of fabulous performance cars in its illustrious history, here's our pick of the M power crop...
- 2BMW M1The M1 was a racing supercar for the road, and still sets pulses racing today
- 3BMW M3 E30Hailed as one of the best-handling cars ever, the original M3 is a nailed-on classic
- 4BMW M5 E39The E39 BMW M5 was the car that started the German saloon horsepower war
- 5BMW 3.0 CSL E9Known as 'The Batmobile' the BMW 3.0 CSL was a proper homologation special for the road
- 6BMW M5 E28The mighty BMW M5 E28 remains one of the finest performance saloons ever
- 7BMW M3 E46 - currently readingGreat looks, great performance and a hardcore limited-run model to boot, the E46 BMW M3 had it all
- 8BMW 1 Series M CoupeM car fans had been crying out for a return to the ethos of the E30 M3, and the 1 Series M Coupe was it
- 9BMW M635 CSi E24The shark nose M635i exudes retro charm today but still packs a mighty punch
- 10BMW M5 Touring E61M car estates are a rare breed but the E61 M5 Touring has an F1-inspired V10 engine to make it well worth seeking out