BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer review - Reliability and safety
The BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer offers good safety credentials, although Driver Power owner feedback suggests reliability could be better.
The 2 Series Gran Tourer did not feature in the 2020 Driver Power Survey, but BMW itself finished 27th overall out of 30 manufacturers. Its MINI-based underpinnings should prove reliable, but our survey revealed that a significant percentage of owners report problems with their cars.
Euro NCAP has yet to crash test the 2 Series Gran Tourer, but the smaller, very similar 2 Series Active Tourer achieved a full complement of five stars, with an 84 per cent adult occupant rating. BMW has fitted all models with a pedestrian warning with city braking function which not only warns the driver of a potential accident but will automatically apply the brakes to minimise the severity of any collision or even prevent one entirely.
BMW offers an unlimited-mileage, three-year warranty on all its cars. This can be extended at extra cost if required.
BMW offers a pay-monthly servicing plan for the 2 Series Gran Tourer to help spread the cost of maintenance, with £20 a month over three years unlocking two services plus fluid top-ups, an MOT and sat-nav map updates, among other things. Expect this to work out more expensive than it would to service an equivalent offering from the class below.
- 1VerdictThe BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer is the car growing families looking for a premium badge have been waiting for
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer is one of the best seven-seaters for keen drivers
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsIt's expensive to buy, but insurance and fuel costs should be reasonable
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer isn't the best-looking BMW, but it's extremely well-built
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceIt's not quite as flexible as some cheaper rivals, but the BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer is still a spacious family car
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingThe BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer offers good safety credentials, although Driver Power owner feedback suggests reliability could be better.