Bugatti Veyron - best hypercars
The mind-blowing Bugatti Veyron set new standards for price, performance and luxury when it arrived back in 2005
Jaw-droppingly fast, jaw-droppingly expensive and jaw-droppingly ostentatious, the Bugatti Veyron arrived on the hypercar scene in 2005. It promptly undermined the McLaren F1’s reputation as top dog by smashing the 250mph barrier, while the even more ‘hyper’ Veyron Super Sport later went on to set a record of 267mph. A specially designed 8.0-litre W16 engine making up to 1,184bhp is responsible for the outrageous speed.
Costing a cool €1million before customers even began dipping into the customisation options, the Veyron also gained notoriety for its incredible running costs. A set of Michelin PAX tyres cost £25k, a routine service is more than £15k, and if your wheels show stress cracks after four services you’ll need new ones at almost £10k a corner.
It’s the reason most Bugatti Veyrons do most of their mileage on the back of trucks, while their owners – with a few notable exceptions - use them mainly to show off at moneyed hot-spots around the world.
Best hypercars 2020
- 1IntroductionThey're the pinnacle of engineering, but what goes into the greatest hypercars ever built? Our top 10 reveals all
- 21. McLaren F1The car that created the hypercar class, the McLaren F1 remains a hard act to beat
- 32. Bugatti ChironHow to you follow the Bugatti Veyron? With the Bugatti Chiron of course
- 43. Mercedes-AMG Project ONEMercedes are one of very few companies who could, if they wanted make an F1 car for the road. Luckily, they very much do want to...
- 54. McLaren SennaIt's not the most powerful car in our list, but light weight and advanced aerodynamics put the Senna in the hyper club
- 65. Koenigsegg Agera RSSwedish hypercar brand Koenigsegg does things its own way and it's own way is very, very fast
- 76. Pagani Huayra BCPagani's latest hypercar show-stopper mixes incredible looks with savage performance
- 87. Porsche 918 SpyderA technological feast with awesome performance, the 918 Spyder was even cheap by hypercar standards at 'only' £650k
- 98. Ferrari LaFerrariFerrari's most extreme machine to date, the LaFerrari brings F1 performance to the road
- 109. Aston Martin ValkyrieAston Martin and Red Bull Racing have teamed up to produce a 6.5-litre V12 F1 inspired car for the road. No, you are not dreaming
- 1110. Bugatti Veyron - currently readingThe mind-blowing Bugatti Veyron set new standards for price, performance and luxury when it arrived back in 2005