McLaren F1 - best hypercars
The car that created the hypercar class, the McLaren F1 remains a hard act to beat
When Formula 1 racing car designer Gordon Murray wanted to build the ultimate road car, his boss Ron Dennis at McLaren gave free rein to the project. The result was the groundbreaking McLaren F1 that arrived in 1992, and was the first production car to feature a carbon fibre monocoque chassis.
The McLaren F1 was also notable for its three-seater layout with central driving position, and for using gold as engine bay insulation - although the few hundred pounds worth of precious metal paled into significance against the car’s half-a-million pound price tag.
That doesn’t sound a lot when you consider top modern hypercars seldom cost less than £1m, but at the time it was more than double the price of the Bugatti EB110 GT and a fair chunk more than Jaguar’s XJ220. On the road, the McLaren F1 blew both into the weeds. It was an engineering feat that completely moved the goalposts for hypercars and set a new benchmark for performance.
Its 6.1-litre V12 engine makes 618bhp, and took the McLaren F1 to an officially timed 243mph in March 1998. It was a new world record that wasn’t beaten until the Bugatti Veyron cracked 253mph in 2005.
Best hypercars 2021
- 1IntroductionThey're the pinnacle of engineering, but what goes into the greatest hypercars ever built? Our top 10 reveals all
- 21. McLaren F1 - currently readingThe car that created the hypercar class, the McLaren F1 remains a hard act to beat
- 32. Bugatti ChironHow to you follow the Bugatti Veyron? With the Bugatti Chiron of course
- 43. Mercedes-AMG Project ONEMercedes are one of very few companies who could, if they wanted make an F1 car for the road. Luckily, they very much do want to...
- 54. McLaren SennaIt's not the most powerful car in our list, but light weight and advanced aerodynamics put the Senna in the hyper club
- 65. Koenigsegg Agera RSSwedish hypercar brand Koenigsegg does things its own way and it's own way is very, very fast
- 76. Pagani Huayra BCPagani's latest hypercar show-stopper mixes incredible looks with savage performance
- 87. Porsche 918 SpyderA technological feast with awesome performance, the 918 Spyder was even cheap by hypercar standards at 'only' £650k
- 98. Ferrari LaFerrariFerrari's most extreme machine to date, the LaFerrari brings F1 performance to the road
- 109. Aston Martin ValkyrieAston Martin and Red Bull Racing have teamed up to produce a 6.5-litre V12 F1 inspired car for the road. No, you are not dreaming
- 1110. Bugatti VeyronThe mind-blowing Bugatti Veyron set new standards for price, performance and luxury when it arrived back in 2005