Porsche 918 Spyder - best hypercars
A technological feast with awesome performance, the 918 Spyder was even cheap by hypercar standards at 'only' £650k
The Porsche 918 Spyder is a rocket ship designed to push the boundaries of hybrid performance as far as possible. Unfortunately for most of us, that might as well mean into outer space – although the Porsche 918’s £650k price tag was at least a little more accessible than some of its hypercar rivals!
Power comes from a V8 petrol engine and front and rear electric motors, which combine to produce 875bhp and 1,280Nm. Handling is superlative, as you’d expect from a Porsche, but with its plug-in hybrid tech you can also cruise around in silence on batteries only for up to 18 miles.
When you’re bored with that, a prod on the accelerator wakes the dormant beast, and the 918 will hit 62mph in 2.5 seconds and race on to a maximum speed of 214mph. The 918 Spyder was one of the first production cars to monster the famous Nurburgring old circuit in under 7 minutes too, but on the road it's docile and easy to drive making it the perfect poser mobile.
Best hypercars 2021
- 1IntroductionThey're the pinnacle of engineering, but what goes into the greatest hypercars ever built? Our top 10 reveals all
- 21. McLaren F1The car that created the hypercar class, the McLaren F1 remains a hard act to beat
- 32. Bugatti ChironHow to you follow the Bugatti Veyron? With the Bugatti Chiron of course
- 43. Mercedes-AMG Project ONEMercedes are one of very few companies who could, if they wanted make an F1 car for the road. Luckily, they very much do want to...
- 54. McLaren SennaIt's not the most powerful car in our list, but light weight and advanced aerodynamics put the Senna in the hyper club
- 65. Koenigsegg Agera RSSwedish hypercar brand Koenigsegg does things its own way and it's own way is very, very fast
- 76. Pagani Huayra BCPagani's latest hypercar show-stopper mixes incredible looks with savage performance
- 87. Porsche 918 Spyder - currently readingA technological feast with awesome performance, the 918 Spyder was even cheap by hypercar standards at 'only' £650k
- 98. Ferrari LaFerrariFerrari's most extreme machine to date, the LaFerrari brings F1 performance to the road
- 109. Aston Martin ValkyrieAston Martin and Red Bull Racing have teamed up to produce a 6.5-litre V12 F1 inspired car for the road. No, you are not dreaming
- 1110. Bugatti VeyronThe mind-blowing Bugatti Veyron set new standards for price, performance and luxury when it arrived back in 2005