Honda NSX 1990 vs Honda NSX 2015
When it comes to sheer performance and technology, no model better demonstrates how far Honda has moved on over the years than the NSX.
- Price new: £52,000
- Power: 270bhp
- Price new: £150,000 (est)
- Power: 550bhp-plus
With a little help from F1 legend Ayrton Senna, the rear-wheel-drive original arrived in 1990 powered by a 270bhp 3.0-litre VTEC V6 engine that delivered 0-62mph in 5.8 seconds and a top speed of 162mph.
The company upped the ante a few years later, introducing a more focused, limited-run Type R, which was 120kg lighter and a true road racer.
In 2005 the NSX was axed, but as we’ve seen already, an all-new model lands next year.
No one outside Honda has taken the wheel yet, but on paper the explosive performance figures show how far the car has come.
The 3.0-litre VTEC has been ditched in favour of a hybrid set-up, blending a mid-mounted V6 with three electric motors.
Total output is nearly double that of the original, at 550bhp-plus. And with two of the motors mounted on the front axle, the new NSX is four-wheel drive.
Fast Hondas Special
- The future of Honda: Q&A with Takahiro Hachigo
- Progress report: we compare Honda models old and new
- New Honda NSX: full details on Honda's 2016 supercar
- Moments of clarity: Honda's greatest tech innovations
- Top 10 best ever fast Hondas
- Bikes, mowers & robots - hands on with Honda’s non-car products
- Honda Civic Type R vs CBR1000RR Fireblade SP: video
- Half bike, half car: the radical Honda Project 2&4 single-seater
- WIN a Honda Civic Type R for a weekend
- 1IntroductionWe look at how Honda’s cars have evolved by comparing six of its class leaders at launch with their modern equivalents
- 2Honda NSX 1990 vs Honda NSX 2015 - currently readingWhen it comes to sheer performance and technology, no model better demonstrates how far Honda has moved on over the years than the NSX.
- 3Honda HR-V 1999 vs Honda HR-V 2015Before the name was revived this year, the last time we saw the HR-V badge on the back of a Honda was in 2006.
- 4Honda Insight 1999 vs Honda Insight 2009Although no longer on sale, the Insight remains one of Honda’s most significant and impressive cars.
- 5Honda Jazz 2001 vs Honda Jazz 2015The Jazz has built up a loyal following on the basis of its low running costs and versatility
- 6Honda Civic 1972 vs Honda Civic 2015Out of Honda’s entire product portfolio, few models have shown as much progress as the Civic.
- 7Honda CR-V 1997 vs Honda CR-V 2015The CR-V hasn’t undergone quite the same dramatic visual changes as the Civic over the years, but dig a little deeper and the progress is there for all to see.