Progress report: we compare Honda models old and new
We look at how Honda’s cars have evolved by comparing six of its class leaders at launch with their modern equivalents
Time doesn’t stand still in the car market, and innovation can soon be made to look out of date. But is this really the case with the most pioneering models in Honda’s history?
We’ve picked out six cars that set new standards at launch – for their performance, tech, practicality or just for creating a new niche – and compared them to the modern-day equivalent in the range.
In some cases, there are decades between the cars in our head-to-heads, and in many ways it shows. But it must be refreshing to the people behind some of these classic models that much of the technology still stands up to scrutiny today.
Click through the links on the left to learn more about the key models, and on the gallery below for more pictures.
Fast Hondas Special
- • The future of Honda: Q&A with Takahiro Hachigo
- • Progress report: we compare Honda models old and new
- • New Honda NSX: full details on Honda's 2016 supercar
- • Moments of clarity: Honda's greatest tech innovations
- • Top 10 best ever fast Hondas
- • Bikes, mowers & robots - hands on with Honda’s non-car products
- • Honda Civic Type R vs CBR1000RR Fireblade SP: video
- • Half bike, half car: the radical Honda Project 2&4 single-seater
- • WIN a Honda Civic Type R for a weekend
- 1Introduction - currently readingWe look at how Honda’s cars have evolved by comparing six of its class leaders at launch with their modern equivalents
- 2Honda NSX 1990 vs Honda NSX 2015When it comes to sheer performance and technology, no model better demonstrates how far Honda has moved on over the years than the NSX.
- 3Honda HR-V 1999 vs Honda HR-V 2015Before the name was revived this year, the last time we saw the HR-V badge on the back of a Honda was in 2006.
- 4Honda Insight 1999 vs Honda Insight 2009Although no longer on sale, the Insight remains one of Honda’s most significant and impressive cars.
- 5Honda Jazz 2001 vs Honda Jazz 2015The Jazz has built up a loyal following on the basis of its low running costs and versatility
- 6Honda Civic 1972 vs Honda Civic 2015Out of Honda’s entire product portfolio, few models have shown as much progress as the Civic.
- 7Honda CR-V 1997 vs Honda CR-V 2015The CR-V hasn’t undergone quite the same dramatic visual changes as the Civic over the years, but dig a little deeper and the progress is there for all to see.