Top 10 best cars for ride and handling
Driver Power asked UK new car buyers about their cars' ride and handling, and these are the top ten highest rated
- Covering: Acceleration, quietness of engine, smoothness of gearbox
- Winner: Toyota GR Yaris
- Score: 96.14%
Winning the ride and handling category is probably a necessary rite of passage for our best sports car, and the GR Yaris duly obliges. It does so in some style, too, with a first place for braking response, a second place for handling and third for overall driving pleasure. It’s not so good on ride quality, though, where that stiff suspension means the GR Yaris can only manage 27th.
Counter-intuitively perhaps, it’s the Land Rover Discovery Sport which takes second in the category, including a first overall for driving pleasure and a second for steering response. It’s a useful reminder that these scores don’t objectively compare measurable parameters, but instead reflect the level of owner satisfaction with the performance provided. Owners clearly feel the Discovery Sport delivers exceptional ride and handling for a large SUV.
Third in the category table is the Citroen C4, which takes a first place for its smooth ride quality and a trio of seventh places for all the other category attributes, on its way to overall victory in the 2023 survey.
“Wonderfully engaging with amazing grip and traction. Fast enough, and as good as one could hope for these days, total fun.”
Ride and handling top 10
|Model||Class||Overall Position||Overall Score||Category Score|
|1. Toyota GR Yaris||Sports Car||69th||87.21%||96.14%|
|2. Land Rover Discovery Sport||Premium Mid to Large SUV||49th||89.07%||96.00%|
|3. Citroen C4 Mk3||Compact Family Car||1st||93.39%||95.93%|
|4. Subaru Outback Mk6||Mid to Large SUV||5th||91.73%||95.85%|
|5. Lexus UX||Premium Small SUV||38th||89.56%||95.62%|
|6. Lexus RX Mk4||Premium Mid to Large SUV||3rd||92.15%||95.38%|
|7. Peugeot 208 Mk2||Supermini||51st||88.95%||94.67%|
|8. Subaru Forester Mk5||Mid to Large SUV||29th||90.07%||94.66%|
|9. Toyota Prius Mk4||Compact Family Car||8th||91.45%||94.59%|
|10. Jaguar F-Pace||Premium Mid to Large SUV||50th||89.07%||94.35%|
Now tell us about your car in the Driver Power survey...
- 1IntroductionDriver Power, the UK’s most comprehensive car customer satisfaction survey, crowns the best cars by category
- 2Engines and gearboxesDriver Power asked UK new car buyers what they thought of their cars' engines and gearboxes, here are the top 10 highest rated
- 3Infotainment, connectivity and electricsDriver Power asked UK new car buyers what they thought of their cars' connectivity and tech, here are the top 10 highest rated
- 4Interior and comfortDriver Power asked UK new car buyers about their cars' interior and comfort, here are the top ten highest rated
- 5Exterior stylingDriver Power asked UK new car buyers what they thought about their cars' exterior. Here are the top ten highest rated.
- 6Practicality and boot spaceDriver Power asked UK new car buyers about their cars' practicality and boot space. These are the top ten highest rated
- 7Ride and handling - currently readingDriver Power asked UK new car buyers about their cars' ride and handling, and these are the top ten highest rated
- 8Safety featuresDriver Power asked UK new car buyers about their cars' safety features. Here are the top ten highest rated
- 9MPG and running costsDriver Power asked UK new car buyers about their cars' MPG and running costs. These are the top ten highest rated