Fiat 500 Hybrid - MPG, CO2 and running costs
The efficient 500 Mild Hybrid offers all the usual supermini style, with useful fuel-savings and lower emissions
It may not be a sporting drive, but the 500 Mild Hybrid at least offers reasonable efficiency offering a claimed average of 53.3mpg and CO2 emissions as low as 88g/km.
The figures aren’t startling, but the little Fiat should be a cheap car to run. The company says it’s 30 per cent more economical than the old 1.2-litre petrol 500, thanks in part to a hybrid powertrain that cuts the engine out when decelerating below 18mph. The six-speed gearbox plays its part here too, although you’re unlikely to spend much time in top gear if you like to make decent speed over ground.
As you’d expect given its limited levels of performance, the 500 Mild Hybrid’s group 9 insurance rating is pleasingly affordable.
Most Fiats tend to struggle with miserly depreciation figures, and while the 500's initial desirability meant it initially bucked that trend, it's a fairly common sight on UK roads now. Previously we found the 500 hatch holding on to around 34% of its value after 3 years and 36,000 miles, although the open-top 500C performed much better at 42% over the same period.
A new wave of 500 Electric models may have some dampening effect on used values of the 500 Mild Hybrid, but the appeal of an EV is very different, so we don’t expect used values to be greatly affected by its arrival.
In this review
- 1Fiat 500 Hybrid reviewThe Fiat 500 Mild Hybrid isn’t as practical as newer city car rivals, but it's still a stylish runabout
- 2Engines, performance and driveEasy to drive and fun in the right conditions, but lacks the refinement or dynamic ability of the best city cars
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running Costs - currently readingThe efficient 500 Mild Hybrid offers all the usual supermini style, with useful fuel-savings and lower emissions
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe 500 offers retro-styling in a small package, with a good level of standard kit
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe 500 might be much bigger than the original, but its still small by today’s city car standards.
- 6Reliability and SafetyThe 500 remains popular with customers, with positive feedback on reliability and running costs.