Kia e-Niro review - Reliability and safety
Great build, happy owners and reassuring warranty cover all bode well for the e-Niro
Kia has a reputation for building reliable cars – something that’s backed up by the firm’s second-place finish in our 2021 Driver Power owner satisfaction survey. Build quality, practicality and comfort were all rated highly, while the Niro model placed 15th out of 75 cars in the Driver Power Best cars to own poll.
Safety is great too, with the whole Kia Niro range having been awarded a five-star rating by Euro NCAP following its crash tests. Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA), a Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS) and seven airbags (one more than in the Kona Electric and BMW i3) all come as standard.
The Kia e-Niro boasts the best warranty of any electric car on sale – seven years or 100,000 miles, plus three years of roadside assistance. This beats the similar Hyundai Kona Electric’s unlimited five-year warranty on length if not miles.
You’ll need to book your e-Niro in for a service every 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first – a relatively short service interval for an EV. Kia is known for its servicing deals that can cover up to five years of servicing, so running costs should still be very affordable.
In this review
- 1Kia e-Niro reviewThe Kia e-Niro is the best do-it-all EV in its class, with practicality, performance and range all in its favour
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe e-Niro is good to drive, striking a useful balance between range and performance
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsFew moving parts and an efficient electric powertrain make for very low running costs
- 4Interior, design and technologyIt’s not exciting to look at but the e-Niro is well built, sensibly designed and includes good on-board tech
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceUnlike some electric cars, the Kia e-Niro is more practical than its hybrid siblings thanks to clever packaging
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingGreat build, happy owners and reassuring warranty cover all bode well for the e-Niro