Kia e-Niro review - Reliability and Safety
Great build, happy owners and an industry-leading warranty all bode well for the e-Niro
Kia has a reputation for building reliable cars – something that’s backed up by the firm’s third-place finish in our 2019 Driver Power owner satisfaction survey. A relatively low 11.4 per cent of Kia owners surveyed reported having experienced a fault with their cars, while build quality, practicality and comfort were all rated highly.
Safety is great too, with the whole Kia Niro range having been awarded a five-star rating by Euro NCAP following its crash tests. Pedestrian-detecting automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise with lane-keep assist, blind-spot warning and seven airbags (one more than in the Kona Electric and BMW i3) all come as standard.
The Kia e-Niro boasts the best warranty of any electric car on sale – seven years or 100,000 miles, plus three years of roadside assistance. This beats the similar Hyundai Kona Electric’s unlimited five-year warranty on length if not miles.
You’ll need to book your e-Niro in for a service every 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first – a relatively short service interval for an EV. Kia is known for its servicing deals that can cover up to five years of servicing, so running costs should still be very affordable.
In this review
- 1Kia e-Niro reviewThe Kia e-Niro is the best do-it-all EV in its class, with practicality, performance and range all in its favour
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe e-Niro is good to drive and surprisingly fast for a car of this type
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsFew moving parts and an efficient electric powertrain make for very low running costs
- 4Interior, design and technologyIt’s not exciting to look at but the e-Niro is well built, sensibly designed and gets good in-car tech
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceUnlike some electric cars, the Kia e-Niro is more practical than its hybrid siblings thanks to clever packaging
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingGreat build, happy owners and an industry-leading warranty all bode well for the e-Niro