Mercedes-AMG GT 4-Door Coupe review - Reliability and Safety
A full roster of safety kit and Merc’s engineering prowess should make the AMG GT 4-Door Coupe a safe bet
While there’s no Euro NCAP independent crash test data available for the AMG GT in any of its guises, we have little doubt the firm’s rigorous approach to engineering means the GT should be one of the safest cars around. As well as it’s rigid construction, there’s an array of passive and active safety kit mirroring what’s available on the top-spec Mercedes S-Class limo. That means you get active cruise control, brake assist and blind spot assist as well as all the other ‘Intelligent Drive’ functions.
It’s too early to say how reliability will fare, but Mercedes scored a 20th place in the 2018 Driver Power Customer Satisfaction survey, with strong ratings for build quality. Around 12 per cent of drivers reported some sort of issue in the first year of ownership, but we can’t extrapolate figures specific to the AMG GT as it’s too new.
The standard Mercedes warranty applies to the AMG GT 4-Door, which means you get a three-year/unlimited mileage warranty package that can be extended for an extra charge assuming the correct dealer inspections are carried out. The warranty is competitive among premium manufacturers, but not exceptional when some cheaper brands are offering five or even seven years.
The AMG GT 4-Door Coupe needs servicing annually, and Mercedes ServiceCare plans are available to spread the cost.
In this review
- 1VerdictThe fastest-ever AMG saloon, the Mercedes-AMG GT 4-Door Coupe takes on the Porsche Panamera and BMW M6 Gran Coupe
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe Mercedes-AMG GT 4-Door Coupe goes, steers and stops like a genuine sports car
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsHuge fuel bills and a whopping tax hit mean GT 4-Door Coupe drivers need deep pockets
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe AMG GT 4-Door lacks the exoticism of the 2-dr Coupe, but is impressively fitted out and specced
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceWith four seats as standard and a big boot, the AMG GT 4-Door’s biggest practical compromise is rear headroom
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingA full roster of safety kit and Merc’s engineering prowess should make the AMG GT 4-Door Coupe a safe bet