Best for handling
Our survey crowns Britain's best handling car, rated for steering feel and chassis balance.
One of the most prestigious categories in Driver Power has to be the handling chart. The way a car can tackle a twisty road, navigate a sharp corner or even deal with an emergency lane change at motorway speeds is assessed and rated here.
The key to a good score is a well-engineered chassis, accurately set up suspension and the correct wheel and tyre choice. The model at the top of this chart places its dynamic abilities at the very top of its priority list.
Mazda’s MX-5 has the classic roadster chassis set up, with its engine at the front, driving the rear wheels. Perfectly damped suspension allows the Japanese two-seater to respond perfectly to steering inputs, with just enough body roll to let the driver know how much cornering force is being exerted and just enough grip to make the Mazda a real joy on almost any road.
Proving the success of Mazda’s commitment to driving dynamics, the company’s RX-8 coupe makes it into second place. With the benefit of near-perfect chassis balance and superb responses the rotary engined model is ticking all the right boxes for driving fans.
It’s another fail for Vauxhall’s old shape Corsa at the bottom of the handling chart, with excessive bodyroll and tendency to understeer sealing its fate.
What you said: "Brilliant - the handling is superb, and stands up to comparison with much more exotic models" - Mazda MX-5 1.8 Owner
"This vehicle is the best handling vehicle I have ever owned, what it lacks in outright power for a sportscar it more than compensates for with sublime handling." - Mazda RX-8 driver.
- 1IntroductionBuckle up! It's time to reveal your views on the best new cars for build quality, reliability, performance, running costs and more...
- 2Best for performanceTo win in this category, a car needs to be able to overtake with confidence and pull strongly in all gears.
- 3Best for reliabilityThe key to true owner satisfaction is dependability. Here we reveal Britain's most reliable cars.
- 4Best for comfortWe name Britain's most comfortable cars
- 5Best for handling - currently readingOur survey crowns Britain's best handling car, rated for steering feel and chassis balance.
- 6Best for brakingWhich UK car is your top of the stops? Our survey for braking performance reveals all.
- 7Best for running costsOur guide to the real cost of motoring names the cheapest, and most expensive cars in the UK.
- 8Best for build qualityIs your car free of squeaks and rattles? We name those that are.
- 9Best for ease of drivingWant a car that offers fuss free transport? Don't miss our guide to the UK's easiest cars to drive.
- 10Best for practicalityWhich car offers the best versatility. We ‘throw it all in and go’ to find out.