BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe review - Reliability and safety
The 2 Series Gran Coupe is equipped with decent safety kit, while reliability shouldn’t be an issue.
The 2 Series Gran Coupe hasn’t featured in our Driver Power customer satisfaction survey yet, but with many of its parts shared across the 1 Series hatchback and MINI models, we’d expect it to prove reliable.
BMW itself didn’t fare too well in our poll of best brands, finishing 27th out of 30 manufacturers - although this was one place ahead of Mercedes. Exterior looks received some criticism, but on-board tech and infotainment systems were praised for their ease-of-use.
Euro NCAP hasn't assessed the BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe yet, but the 1 Series on which it's based scored a full five-star rating. Safety kit includes BMW’s Active Guard Plus system which comprises a City braking function, a Lane Departure Warning and Speed Limit Info including a no-overtaking indicator. Cruise control, front and rear parking sensors and automatic wipers and headlights are also standard.
The options list includes extra safety and tech equipment which you can spec individually or as part of a pack.
BMW offers a three-year, unlimited warranty for the 2 Series Gran Coupe. The manufacturer also provides 12 months cover for all of its approved used models.
The BMW Pay Monthly Service Plan means you can spread the cost of servicing your car by paying on a fixed monthly basis. As an incentive to encourage customers to use the service, BMW also throws in one free MOT, seasonal health checks, a wash and vacuum after every service and free fluid top-ups.
In this review
- 1VerdictThe BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe offers a break from the norm, with its distinctive, sporty style and four-door practicality.
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe 2 Series Gran Coupe offers plenty of refinement, although the hot M235i version doesn’t quite deserve its M Performance moniker.
- 3MPG, CO2 and running costsWith economical diesel engines, relatively low insurance costs and great residual values, the 2 Series Gran Coupe should be an affordable car to run.
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe looks are polarising, but the 2 Series Gran Coupe features a quality cabin and good levels of standard equipment.
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceIt isn’t the most flexible, family car, but the 2 Series Gran Coupe is a comfortable cruiser.
- 6Reliability and safety - currently readingThe 2 Series Gran Coupe is equipped with decent safety kit, while reliability shouldn’t be an issue.