BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe review - Practicality, comfort and boot space
It isn’t the most flexible, family car, but the 2 Series Gran Coupe is a comfortable cruiser.
Customers considering the 2 Series Gran Coupe probably won’t be overly concerned with issues of practicality. It does offer more boot space than the 1 Series hatchback, but the coupe style means there’s less head room in the rear and it isn’t as versatile in being able to easily carry family kit such as buggies and bikes.
The sloping shape of the Gran Coupe means rear visibility is also not the best, although BMW has fitted front and rear parking sensors as standard, which helps with parking and tricky manoeuvres.
BMW also offers its Comfort packs at extra cost across the range. These include extra features such as a heated steering wheel, electric seat adjustment and extended lighting throughout the cabin. A space saver spare wheel is also optional for all versions, with the exception of the top-of-the-range M235i xDrive.
Leg room, head room & passenger space
Four adults can fit perfectly comfortably in the 2 Series Gran Coupe, but we’d advise using the extra space for a fifth occupant only for shorter journeys. There’s plenty of room for both the driver and front passenger, although the space is a touch tighter in the back.
With a total of 430 litres of boot space, the 2 Series Gran Coupe is 30 litres down on its Mercedes CLA rival. Loading bulky items easily could also prove to be a problem, due to the small ‘saloon-like’ boot opening.
In this review
- 1VerdictThe BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe offers a break from the norm, with its distinctive, sporty style and four-door practicality.
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe 2 Series Gran Coupe offers plenty of refinement, although the hot M235i version doesn’t quite deserve its M Performance moniker.
- 3MPG, CO2 and running costsWith economical diesel engines, relatively low insurance costs and great residual values, the 2 Series Gran Coupe should be an affordable car to run.
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe looks are polarising, but the 2 Series Gran Coupe features a quality cabin and good levels of standard equipment.
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot space - currently readingIt isn’t the most flexible, family car, but the 2 Series Gran Coupe is a comfortable cruiser.
- 6Reliability and safetyThe 2 Series Gran Coupe is equipped with decent safety kit, while reliability shouldn’t be an issue.