Best used family cars
The Vauxhall Insignia is the best used family car in our Used Car Awards 2018
Best used family car: Vauxhall Insignia
Prices from: £990Our pick: Vauxhall Insignia 2015 (15) 2.0 CDTi SRi, 36,230 miles, £6,700
With lots of used examples to chose from and prices from £990, it’s no wonder the Vauxhall Insignia is yet again our best used family car. Most of these practical five-door hatches will have already shed the majority of their value, so you needn’t worry about depreciation too much. With a spacious cabin, strong kit list and economical engines, there’s lots to like.
You can pick up a nearly new model for almost half the new list price, and while this generation has been replaced by the newer Insignia Grand Sport, the used model is worth exploring if you’re on a tighter budget.
The cabin quality is robust, while the relatively plush suspension delivers decent comfort most of the time. Chassis control breaks down over poorer surfaces, but makes long journeys much more bearable when paired with smooth-enough diesel engines. Our pick is the powerful, punchy 138bhp 2.0-litre CDTi diesel, which should return between 50-60mpg on a long run, yet offers a good spread of performance, too.
SRi trim adds sporty looks without sacrificing value. Even upgrading to the better-equipped Elite Nav trim, which offers plenty of useful kit including sat-nav, leather upholstery and xenon lights, the Insignia is still affordable. But pick wisely and it shouldn’t matter what combination you go for, because you’ll get plenty of value for money with this used Vauxhall.
That extends to the versatility on offer, thanks to the Vauxhall’s 530-litre boot and wide-opening hatch. Despite the relatively sleek but inoffensive styling, the Insignia is a practical and dependable family car.
To complete the package, there’s lots of head and legroom in the rear of the cabin to keep passengers happy. Cheap and cheerful fits the bill here.
On the road: Comfort is good most of the time, with only poor tarmac upsetting the car. Diesel engines are praised by owners.
Interior: Large boot, good rear space and decent equipment levels make the Insignia a strong family choice.
Affordability from new tends to mean affordability when used, and that’s true on finance, too, where monthly prices of around £128 on a PCP mean you get all the space and efficiency of an Insignia for city-car costs.
Part of the reason is that this car has already taken its biggest depreciation hit, so finance becomes even cheaper. It’s a great deal.
Skoda Superb Mk3
Skoda’s ultra-practical family hatchback lives up to its name. It genuinely is Superb. It’s pricier than the Insignia used, but you can’t moan about the space, quality and kit. Frugal diesel engines are a bonus, too.
Mazda 6 Mk2
The Mk2 Mazda 6 hatch cemented Mazda's reputation in this segment as it balances cost and driver appeal beautifully. Prices are very affordable and while interior quality might have moved on, there’s a surprising level of fun, comfort and refinement.
Best used cars to buy - 2018 Used Car Awards winners
- 1IntroductionBag a used car bargain as our ultimate buying guide identifies the Used Cars of the Year winners – the best used cars to buy now
- 2Best used car: Jaguar XEThe Jaguar XE compact exec offers an unbeatable blend of style, performance, practicality, efficiency and value for money
- 3Best used city carsThe Skoda Citigo is the best used city car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 4Best used superminisThe Ford Fiesta Mk6 is the best used supermini car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 5Best used compact family hatchbacksThe Skoda Octavia is the best used compact family hatch in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 6Best used estate carsThe Skoda Superb Estate is the best used estate car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 7Best used family cars - currently readingThe Vauxhall Insignia is the best used family car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 8Best used small SUVsThe Peugeot 2008 is the best used small SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 9Best used mid-size SUVsThe Nissan Qashqai is the best used mid-size SUV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 10Best used large SUVsThe Kia Sorento is the best used large SUVs in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 11Best used compact executive carsThe Jaguar XE is the best used compact executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 12Best used executive carsThe BMW 5 Series is the best used executive in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 13Best used luxury carsThe Mercedes S-Class is the best used luxury car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 14Best used MPVsThe Citroen Grand C4 Picasso is the best used MPV in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 15Best used coupesThe Audi TT is the best used coupe in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 16Best used convertiblesThe Mazda MX-5 is the best used convertible in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 17Best used hot hatchbacksThe Ford Fiesta ST is our best used hot hatchback of the year 2018
- 18Best used sports carsThe Porsche 911 is the best used sports car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 19Best used hybrid carsThe Toyota Prius is the best used hybrid car in our Used Car Awards 2018
- 20Best used electric carsThe Nissan Leaf is the best used electric car in our Used Car Awards 2018