Aston Martin Vanquish, Die Another Day (2002)
￼BOND FACT: The car chase on the ice was shot in Norway and Iceland.
After a brief flirtation with BMWs in his previous films, Pierce Brosnan’s Bond took advantage of a multi-million-dollar product placement deal with Ford, which owned Aston Martin at the time, to get behind the wheel of a Vanquish.
Isn’t it funny how Q’s cars always have the right gadgets for the job? In Die Another Day, the Aston Vanquish is fitted with spiked tyres, which allow Bond to make his escape up the walls of Zao’s ice cave.
The car was packed with cutting-edge technology, and 007 was given a guided tour of it by Q’s replacement, R (played by John Cleese). As well as the usual rockets and machine guns, the Vanquish had a cloaking device. Special cameras on either side of the car projected an image on to a ‘skin’ that made it virtually invisible. All of this technology came into its own when Bond confronted baddie Zao (played by Rick Yune) on a frozen lake in Iceland.
Zao’s Jaguar XKR convertible, also supplied by Ford, was loaded with weaponry, and the ensuing chase has gone down as one of the most dramatic in the Bond series. At one point, 007 flips his rolled Vanquish back on to its wheels using the ejector seat – a gadget added as a homage to the DB5 – to evade Zao’s missiles.
- 1IntroductionWhat is the best James Bond car of all time? We've picked some of our favourites. What's yours?
- 2Aston Martin DB5BOND FACT: The car also appears in Thunderball (1965), GoldenEye (1995), Tomorrow Never Dies (1997), Casino Royale (2006) and Skyfall (2012)
- 3Lotus EspritBOND FACT: The Esprit that crashed into the sea was a mock-up fired by an air cannon.
- 4Sunbeam AlpineBOND FACT: The Alpine in Dr No was borrowed from a Jamaican resident and was one of only a few sports cars on the island.
- 5Aston Martin DBS￼BOND FACT: The sensational Casino Royale crash was filmed at Millbrook Proving Ground in Bedfordshire.
- 6Ford Mustang Mach 1￼￼BOND FACT: The Mustang chase was filmed on Las Vegas’ famous Fremont Street, which was still open to the public.
- 7BMW Z8BOND FACT: The film's 14-minute pre-title sequence is by far the longest of any Bond film.
- 8Aston Martin Vanquish - currently reading￼BOND FACT: The car chase on the ice was shot in Norway and Iceland.
- 9Citroen 2CVBOND FACT: The film's car chases were choreographed by French stunt driver Rémy Julienne.
- 10What the villains droveHe's behind you: some of our favourite vehicles driven by the villains