Mercedes SLS Roadster vs Porsche 911
It’s time to bring out the big guns, as the Mercedes SLS AMG Roadster meets the Porsche 911 Turbo Cabrio
The SLS has lost none of its wow factor in Roadster form. It’s arguably even more spine-tingling than the coupe, as the superbly engineered hood folds in seconds, allowing you to better appreciate the mighty V8’s exhaust note. More importantly, the chassis rigidity is superb and the dynamics haven’t been compromised in the transition to drop-top. However, while the 911 Turbo lacks the Mercedes’ opulence, it’s faster and more agile.
Picking a winner comes down to your priorities: the SLS is the ultimate boulevard cruiser, while the Porsche is more engaging on a twisty road. The 911 also costs less – but in this market, financial considerations are outweighed by the need to have the most desirable machine. The SLS Roadster is a car of the moment, as well as being a supremely fast and engaging roadster, so it takes the win.
1. Mercedes SLS AMG Roadster Few cars at any price attract as much attention and make as big a statement as the Mercedes SLS AMG Roadster. It looks great, sounds amazing and is beautifully engineered in every area. It isn’t as fast as the Porsche 911 Turbo, but it’s a seriously accomplished convertible performance car all the same.
2. Porsche 911 turbo cabriolet PDK With its tiny rear seats and nose boot the Porsche is a surprisingly practical choice, but it’s the incredible performance and magnetic grip that set it apart. However, the 911 Turbo Cabriolet still trails the Mercedes for ultimate desirability.
In this review
- 1Introduction - currently readingIt’s time to bring out the big guns, as the Mercedes SLS AMG Roadster meets the Porsche 911 Turbo Cabrio
- 21st Mercedes SLS AMG RoadsterCan gorgeous convertible match legendary 911 Turbo for driving thrills?
- 32nd Porsche 911 Turbo CabrioletOutgoing version of classic model still impresses – so can it beat SLS?
- 4Facts and figures