Top 10 best cars for engine & gearbox / powertrain
Driver Power asked UK new car buyers what they thought of their cars' engines and gearboxes, here are the top 10 highest rated
- Covering: Acceleration, the quietness of the engine and the smoothness of the gearbox
- Winner: Polestar 2
- Score: 99.46%
We’re not surprised to see a trio of electric cars taking the top powertrain satisfaction slots this year, and the category win goes to the Polestar 2. The category sub-divisions include scores for acceleration, engine sound (or lack thereof) and gearbox smoothness, and the Polestar 2 aces them all, suggesting that owners really love this aspect of their purchases.
The runner-up spot in the category goes to the Tesla Model 3 – last year’s winner – which is ranked second for acceleration and fourth for smoothness, but slips to 10th for sound. The Nissan Leaf Mk2 beats the Tesla for a more satisfying ‘engine’ sound, but trails it in eighth and ninth for acceleration and smoothness.
Last year’s second and third places went to the Kia e-Niro and Hyundai Kona, but in 2023 they both slipped down the table, although the e-Niro makes the top 10. The Citroen C4, which won this year’s survey overall, manages a decent eighth here. The category-winning Polestar 2 comes 17th in the overall ranking.
“The acceleration is stunning and very addictive. It’s very smooth in delivery and progressive while not being too aggressive.”
Engine and gearbox top 10
|Model||Class||Overall Position||Overall Score||Category Score|
|1. Polestar 2||Premium Mid to Large SUV||17th||90.94%||99.46%|
|2. Tesla Model 3||Executive||22nd||90.71%||96.54%|
|3. Nissan Leaf Mk2||Compact Family Car||42nd||89.40%||96.54%|
|4. Kia Soul Mk3||Small SUV||18th||90.80%||96.35%|
|5. MG5||Compact Family Car||66th||87.66%||96.24%|
|6. Kia EV6||Family Car||7th||91.50%||95.47%|
|7. Toyota Prius Mk4||Compact Family Car||8th||91.45%||95.45%|
|8. Citroen C4 Mk3||Compact Family Car||1st||93.39%||95.16%|
|9. Lexus UX||Premium Small SUV||38th||89.56%||95.07%|
|10. Kia e-Niro Mk1||Small SUV||44th||89.32%||94.57%|
Now tell us about your car in the Driver Power survey...
- 1IntroductionDriver Power, the UK’s most comprehensive car customer satisfaction survey, crowns the best cars by category
- 2Engines and gearboxes - currently readingDriver Power asked UK new car buyers what they thought of their cars' engines and gearboxes, here are the top 10 highest rated
- 3Infotainment, connectivity and electricsDriver Power asked UK new car buyers what they thought of their cars' connectivity and tech, here are the top 10 highest rated
- 4Interior and comfortDriver Power asked UK new car buyers about their cars' interior and comfort, here are the top ten highest rated
- 5Exterior stylingDriver Power asked UK new car buyers what they thought about their cars' exterior. Here are the top ten highest rated.
- 6Practicality and boot spaceDriver Power asked UK new car buyers about their cars' practicality and boot space. These are the top ten highest rated
- 7Ride and handlingDriver Power asked UK new car buyers about their cars' ride and handling, and these are the top ten highest rated
- 8Safety featuresDriver Power asked UK new car buyers about their cars' safety features. Here are the top ten highest rated
- 9MPG and running costsDriver Power asked UK new car buyers about their cars' MPG and running costs. These are the top ten highest rated