Kia Soul EV review - Reliability and safety
The Soul EV was ranked as one of the best cars to own based on the latest Driver Power survey
While the original Soul EV was put through Euro NCAP’s battery of crash tests, and received a four out of five-star rating for its performance, the second-gen model has yet to be tested by the industry body.
It does however come with an extensive list of safety features, with all Soul EVs featuring a driver attention warning, forward collision-avoidance assist, lane keep assist, high beam assist and adaptive cruise control. The range-topping Explore models goes slightly further, adding rear-cross traffic avoidance assist and blind spot collision avoidance assist.
The Soul EV was one of 14 Kia models to make it onto our list of the best cars to own, which is based on owners’ feedback from the most recent Driver Power customer satisfaction survey. In fact, the Kia Soul finished an impressive 18th out of 75 cars, ahead of both the latest Niro and Sportage. Meanwhile Kia as a brand finished sixth in our best car manufacturer rankings, with strong results across the board.
The Soul EV is covered by the same seven-year/100,000-mile warranty enjoyed by the rest of the Kia range.
The Soul EV requires a service every year or 10,000 miles, whichever comes sooner. Kia offers a number of different service plans for the Soul EV, with the longest covering three years of scheduled maintenance.
In this review
- 1VerdictThe Kia Soul EV is more interesting than the Niro EV, with its bold styling, generous kit levels and impressive range
- 2Electric motor, drive and performanceThe Kia Soul EV offers a comfortable ride and plenty of oomph for everyday driving
- 3Range, charging and running costsThe Soul EV’s range of up to 280 miles is impressive, however it’s not expected to retain much of its value
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe Soul EV features a long list of equipment and an excellent infotainment system
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe Soul EV is spacious for passengers, but the boot is smaller than many other electric SUVs
- 6Reliability and safety - currently readingThe Soul EV was ranked as one of the best cars to own based on the latest Driver Power survey