Mercedes C-Class review - Reliability and safety
Mercedes offers exceptional standard safety kit for the C-Class, while customer feedback is improving
Euro NCAP hasn’t yet crash tested the latest C-Class, but with the executive saloon’s raft of standard safety kit, we’d expect nothing less than a top five-star score. All C-Class models feature a blind spot monitoring system, lane-keeping assistance, an autonomous emergency braking function and Attention Assist which detects driver fatigue on a longer journey and alerts you to take a break.
Mercedes has also taken pedestrian safety into account by fitting its Active Bonnet tech to the C-Class: if an imminent collision is detected, the bonnet raises up to create a cushion between itself and the engine, helping to prevent injury to the pedestrian.
Mercedes achieved a much improved result in our 2021 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey: up to 13th position (out of 29 manufacturers) in the Best brands poll, compared with 28th spot in 2020. The C-Class didn’t feature in the latest Best cars to own survey, with the A-Class hatchback the highest ranking Mercedes model, in 23rd place.
Mercedes offers a three-year, unlimited mileage warranty for its C-Class, with an option to take out extended cover for a further 12 or 24 months at extra cost. Alternatively, a one-month rolling contract is also available.
The Mercedes ServiceCare plan allows you to spread servicing costs into monthly payments, or settled upfront as a one-off payment. Prices start from £30 per month.
In this review
- 1VerdictA quality interior, great efficiency and strong on-board tech mean that the Mercedes C-Class is a deeply impressive compact executive saloon
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe C-Class offers a range of capable engines, with an appealing blend of power and efficiency
- 3MPG, CO2 and running costsRunning costs should be greatly reduced if you opt for the C-Class plug-in hybrid model
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe interior quality and on-board tech in the Mercedes C-Class is simply stunning
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe Mercedes C-Class offers a roomier cabin and excellent comfort, but boot space isn’t as practical as close rivals
- 6Reliability and safety - currently readingMercedes offers exceptional standard safety kit for the C-Class, while customer feedback is improving