Mercedes C-Class review - Reliability and safety
Mercedes offers exceptional standard safety kit for the C-Class, while customer feedback is improving
The C-Class was tested by Euro NCAP in 2022, and it achieved a full five-star safety rating. A wide range of standard safety equipment helped towards this score, with all C-Class models featuring a blind spot monitoring system, lane-keeping assistance, an autonomous emergency braking function and Attention Assist which detects driver fatigue on a longer journey and alerts you to take a break.
Mercedes has also taken pedestrian safety into account by fitting its Active Bonnet tech to the C-Class: if an imminent collision is detected, the bonnet raises up to create a cushion between itself and the engine, helping to prevent injury to the pedestrian.
Mercedes won't be happy with a disappointing 23rd place finish in our 2022 Driver Power best brands survey, particularly after an encouraging 13th position achieved the previous year. The C-Class didn’t feature in the latest best cars to own survey, with the A-Class hatchback the highest ranking Mercedes model, in 30th place.
Mercedes offers a three-year, unlimited mileage warranty for its C-Class, with an option to take out extended cover for a further 12 or 24 months at extra cost. Alternatively, a one-month rolling contract is also available.
The Mercedes ServiceCare plan allows you to spread servicing costs into monthly payments, or settled upfront as a one-off payment. Prices start from £38 per month.
In this review
- 1Mercedes C-Class reviewA quality interior, great efficiency and strong on-board tech mean that the Mercedes C-Class is a hugely impressive compact executive saloon
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe C-Class offers a range of capable engines, with an appealing blend of power and efficiency
- 3MPG, CO2 and running costsRunning costs should be greatly reduced if you opt for the C-Class plug-in hybrid model
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe interior quality and on-board tech in the Mercedes C-Class is simply stunning
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe Mercedes C-Class offers a roomier cabin and excellent comfort, but boot space isn’t as practical as close rivals
- 6Reliability and safety - currently readingMercedes offers exceptional standard safety kit for the C-Class, while customer feedback is improving