Mercedes GLE (2015-2019) review - Reliability and Safety
ML earned five stars from Euro NCAP, and the GLE has even more safety kit
Mercedes hasn’t managed to shake off its poor reliability image over recent years and finished 26th out of 32 manufacturers when it came to reliability. Its overall result of 12th in our 2016 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey is still a drop of one place on its 2015 performance.
When it comes to safety, Mercedes has pioneered plenty of innovations in the past, and the GLE features lots of kit to help avoid a crash or protect you if the worst should happen.
There’s an adaptive bonnet that pops up in the event of a pedestrian impact to cushion the blow, as well as Attention Assist that monitors driver behaviour and tells you when you need to take a break.
On top of this the GLE gets Collision Prevention Assist Plus, which will give visual and audible warnings to the driver if it senses a potential crash, before applying the brakes for you to try and avoid a bump. There’s also Crosswind Assist to help on open roads.
The old ML was given a full five-star safety rating by Euro NCAP, although that was in the older test, which isn't quite as strict as it is now. However, as the GLE is based on the same chassis with even more tech added to the mix, there's no question that the GLE is a safe car to drive and be driven in.
In this review
- 1Mercedes GLE (2015-2019) review The Mercedes GLE is a rebadge of the ML-Class with a mild facelift and newer tech, but it's showing its age now
- 2Engines, performance and driveBig, heavy GLE is a comfortable cruiser, while AMG models are rapid
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsGLE is relatively thirsty, but plug-in hybrid model helps cut costs
- 4Interior, design and technologyAll the Mercedes styling cues are present, but the GLE is looking a little dated now
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe GLE offers plenty of room for a five-seat SUV
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingML earned five stars from Euro NCAP, and the GLE has even more safety kit